Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Selective nibbling

Posted by WannaBGardener 8b & 4a (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 6, 05 at 9:39

well they did it agian this year. The Deer have visited our garden and ATE all the tops and buds off our Pink Garden Phlox. Never eat the other color phlox. Last fall I moved a few clumps of the pink ones near the garage and they missed those ones. :-) Question is--All the other color phlox get a fungus on them later in the year, but not the pink ones. I wonder if the deer can smell the fungus before we can see it? There has to be some reason why they only eat the Pink ones. Not to mention that the Pink ones are our favorates.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Selective nibbling

Well the squirrels (or chipmunks)ate all of my white crocus but left the light and dark purple ones...so I'd believe that there is some type of preference on how they look or taste...

o

had same thing with tulips and deer
loved the purple but left the yellow

o

I'm not sure about the deer's taste/color preference. But my younger brother would only eat the pink tulips taht I fed him and never the purple ones.

myb the deer get to the pink ones first and get full before they get to other colors? It;s probably because the pink one's are your favorite that the deer only eat those to irritate you. although deer grazing thru the garden problably is irritating enough. have you considered irritating the deer back by eating them?

diggerb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here