Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mostlyweeds

Newbie Hello and a question =)

mostlyweeds
12 years ago

Hello everyone!

This is my first post here, Im a very amateur gardener out of Hamilton, ON. Ive been growing a few veggies in a single raised bed for about 2 years and then this spring I was feeling really good and decided that it was time to really make something happen in the yard. Weve been here for 6yrs now and the only living thing in our decent sized backyard was a Norway maple we planted when my daughter was born, and 10 neglected Emerald Cedars in a row along one fence. All in all... ultra lame haha.

So this spring I added four more 4x8 raised veggies beds for a total of five and I built a little over 100fts worth of 5-6ft deep perimeter bed wrapping around a large portion of the yard! I shuffled the cedars around the bed, evenly spacing them out and planted about 8 1gal lilacs (mostly common) and 8 1gal viburnums, purple sand cherry and pjm rhododendron. Being the frugal sort (read: Poor/2 young kids) I loaded garbage cans of free woodchips from the city forestry yard into the van six at a time until all of my new beds and paths were filled up. I built a nice big composter as well. Everything is very neat and tidy now and Im pleased with the overall look. I should add that my backyard is completely exposed to full sun which makes the garden hotter than the scorched depths of hell hehe. Hopefully as the lilacs fill in and frame out the back half of the beds in spots they can add the privacy and spots of shade Im looking for.

Having become obsessed with my new beds and my now thriving veggies Ive already built my own seed starting shelf/lights setup for this winter! I figure growing all my veggies from seed and trying more interesting heirloom varieties is the next logical step for me. It must be all that much more rewarding. And cost-effective!

The problem is now that Ive got this sweet starting setup all ready to go in my workshop area, I want to grow something!! Its the 3rd week of July though and I really dont know what I can get away with starting at this point in order to be ready for fall transplant? Next spring Ill keep trucking along with more veggies and I would like to add the next "layer" of perennials in my perimeter bed, but is there anything I can start now and hope to get in the ground before winter? And have a good chance of it living?

The perennials Id like to see next year are all fairly commonly used I think: hostas, coneflowers, heuchera, shasta daisies, pinks, phlox, violas for example. To fill such a large bed or even half of it will likely cost me a fortune in transplants, so I guess Im game to try them from seed. Im a patient person and in no rush to purchase an "instant garden" from the nursery. I mean, I bought 1 gallon lilacs after all haha. If I got my hands on seed can any of these be started last week of July indoors? If not Ill harness my eager energy until the winter and go wild then. Any advice is welcome =)

Cheers!

MW.

Comments (4)

• linda_schreiber
    12 years ago

I've read your note at least three times over the last few days and, generally, just after I've come in from trying to get at least *something* like work done outside during the heatwave.... Each time, I've said to myself, 'Maybe tomorrow'. Your energy and enthusiasm are wonderful! I've been too *hot and tired* to compose anything like an intelligent reply [wry grins]. So many moving parts! Still too hot and tired, and this may not be anything like intelligent.

It's now the 4th week in July.... Figuring you are looking only at 'from seed' for now.

First, have you planned out the late season plantings in your veggie garden beds? Not quite time for some, but getting close. Green beans now or soon. Another couple of weeks, peapods/peas. Also spinach/lettuces if you can provide a bit of shading in early September. Later in the fall, garlic and asparagus.

Second, I know you want to get the seed-starting set-up going, but it is still early, unless it is a real greenhouse. They will be up as seedlings many, many months before you can plant them outside. They will not thrive.

Some of the perennials you mentioned are startable from seed, but many are 'common' simply because they are easily bought in gallon pots [grin]. Hostas, for example, are not worth the trouble.

If you are looking to make the most out of your seed-starting area over the winter, I would look at planting the veggie seeds first, and the perennials a little later, when there is room for them after the veggies are planted outside. Many of the veggies are annuals, and need the full growing season to get the best yield. The perennials.... as long as they get a good strong seedling up, and are planted in a spot they like, even when they are planted way late, they may just need a little extra water, or a little shading or hardening-off, and they will establish well.

Oh, and you mentioned heirloom vegetables. Just a note here. One of the reasons heirlooms are so terrific is that they were seed-collected from areas where they were happy, and did very well. When looking at seeds for heirlooms, be sure to look at what areas they are from. The wrong climate zones or the wrong soil types, and you are better off with some of the modern hybrids... Start with doing some research on heirlooms that do well where you are, and then carefully expand from there. Miscellaneous "heirloom vegetable seeds" can be a dramatic disappointment.

• taylor12
    12 years ago

I have been "visiting" this forum for a couple of weeks now and am finding it quite interesting. So I thought that I would venture in deeper and introduce myself.
    I stumbled onto the forum quite by accident one day. And I really found it interesting that there seem to be a few people from my general geographical area - southwestern MB. I find it quite interesting that in the world wide land of internet that I find someone who is almost my neighbor on the same bulletin board.

I do also have a question.

I have an large yard that this year decided was time to spruce it up. I have planted several small shrubs and a few fruit type trees and built one flowerbed that this year is all annuals.

I noticed the other night that my Dogwood seems to be dying off. My yard is quite windy and it looks like its drying out. I am watering it pretty much every night. Is a Dogwood one of those plants that needs to be in a protected area? Or is there something else I should be doing? Any ideas would be appreciated.

• paul_
    12 years ago

MW,first a word of "warning" ... since I'm not sure where in relation to the beds your trees and shrubs are do keep in mind:
    1) Both the trees and shrubs WILL invade your raised beds with their roots. The closer they are the faster and more thoroughly they will do so. This is unavoidable -- plants do what they do. That doesn't mean you have to get all paranoid and rip them all out, just be ready for that and don't plant the shrubs/trees amongst your beds.
    2) Although your shrubs/trees are not big now, DO keep in mind how big they will get. This is the hardest part of putting such in one's yard. It is so difficult to visualize that the cute 7ft tree with a 4 foot spread will one day be 30-40ft or more tall and have a spread of 15 to 20ft or more. As such folks often find out later that the tree/shrub should have been planted further away. While some veggies can grow a bit more shady, most require full sun. Plan accordingly.

You might be able to find people in your local area that have perennials which need dividing. Ask around and you might get lucky and find someone who will either give you some small starts outright or perhaps would be willing to trade their excess perennials for your produce.

There are some perennials that you could probably start from seed even at this point and get the seedlings far enough along to survive winter. Also as Linda mentioned, cool season crops like sugar snap peas, etc, should be doable yet.

Tayor12, a question very similar to yours was just asked so instead of retyping my response, I'll just give you a link:

Here is a link that might be useful: dogwood drying out?

• linda_schreiber
    12 years ago

You are in Manitoba?

Dogwood is natively an understory tree which thrives in partial shade under large trees in a woodland, and probably is protected from winds by the surrounding forest vegetation, as well.

Doesn't mean it can't survive where you have it, but you probably need to find a way to shield it somehow from full sun and winds, at least until it gets established well. And this still will not be ideal.

Is there a place more to its likely that you can move it to?

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida