Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
da180

Is it too late for success?

da180
14 years ago

I am in Wisconsin and the Radishes I tried (new this year) were a failure. Is it too late to grow peas for a later summer crop?

I have some now and they seem to be doing fairly well. If you think it would be worth my time, I'll plant more.

Comments (3)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    14 years ago

Peas take just over two months from planting to harvest and are a cool season crop. Problem is they germinate better in cooler weather. If you count back two months from the first frost date in fall planting time could be around the end of July (depending where you are) and may be too hot. You might want to start them inside or, if outside, make sure you mulch well with straw and water lightly daily to keep them cool until germination.

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: Peas & Beans in Wis

• da180
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for reply and the helpful link!

• johnnyrazbrix
    13 years ago

i would like to offer a little food for thought regarding getting vegetables to thrive in heat , whether they are cool or hot season plants.There is a product called "surround WP " It is a very fine , white clay. It is Kaolin Clay.I use it on my apples. Whatever you spray turns white.I just started using it two years ago on my apples ; peaches ; grapes only.This year I tried it on tomatoes , peppers , cukes , cabbage , squash.And I did not start using it until July when it starts getting pretty hot even here in the north country. Local micro climates can cause hotter areas. The white clay moderates the foilage temperature by reflecting some of the rays.The plants continue photosynthesis later in the day because they are not being stressed into shutting down. as it relates to the pea problem during hot weather . it would be interesting to see if one could start plants in a sheltered area , set them out , give them a day or two and spray with "Surround WP " The clay is totally organic . It will wash off with rain over over head watering. It would have to be reapplied . Not after every rain but when one notices the " white wash " getting a little thin.I am going to do the pea thing next summer.Any one else ever try it? It has insecticide benefits and some fungicidal as well. Johnny