Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violet14_gw

bunny eating all of my bean plants!

violet14
18 years ago

Hi there as you may have guessed a bunny is indeed eating all of my bean plants. It seems to wait until they have a few flowers and i go out the next day and my plants are shaved down to stalks! The bunny also ate all of my spinach and seems to enjoy marigold plants too!

I have put out a live trap in hopes of catching the bunny but it is smarter than i am so far!

Anyone know of something the bunnies cannot resist to use as a bait? I am planning on releasing it in a nice forested area after catching it!

thanks !

Comments (6)

• abrodie
    18 years ago

Why not use beans?

Brodie

• karen_w
    18 years ago

Have had bunny probs for years. Just this week, I noticed a HAWK in my suburban yard. WOOHOO!!!!
    Fewer bunnies already. Hope the hawk likes it here.
    Yeah, yeah, some peple think that's cruel and bunnies are cute. Take it up with God. :) K.

• cantstopgardening
    18 years ago

Karen, you gave me a chuckle.
    I am a big fan of bunnies, but I also love hawks. It certainly is a balance. We have lots of coyotes and hawks in the swampy, wild area around my older subdivision, so our poulation of rabbits gets checked. (I currently have two living in the front yard, and one in the back.)

Now, if we could just get a few more wolves back into Wisconsin to take care of the deer! (Some wolves have been sighted in my county in southeastern Wisconsin- whoo-hoo!! :-)

Jean

• karen_w
    18 years ago

Jean, can't help you out with a wolf, but a young bear was picked up a few minutes from downtown Grand Rapids spring of '04. Should we ship the next one to you?
    We do not have swampy, wild areas near so the hawk is a miracle.

• cantstopgardening
    18 years ago

I think that same bear already made his way here. lol!! He was picked up on the highway in Greendale (a Milwaukee suburb, and a very populated area.) They had to close the highway down for a while to get the bugger.

It seems some of the predators are being as comfortable in urban areas as rabbits and deer. Coyotes are seen in cities more frequently. I hope your hawk stays.
    Jean

• clemmybug
    18 years ago

We have bunnies and wolves so I think there is a good balance. I'm surprised the bunnies don't eat all my veggies. I have a huge garden and I see lots of rabbit raisins around but nothing is being chomped down so far.