Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chills71

Holland Mi area

chills71
19 years ago

I will be visiting the Holland Michigan area for work next week. I have some time to myself and would like to know if there are any particularily good nurseries in the area.

Anyone out there know of any?

~Chills

Comments (15)

• karen_w
    19 years ago

WW Greenhouse is HUGE and it's in Hudsonville between Grand Rapids and Holland. Most of the plants are indoors, so you can shop even in the rain. Address is 4044 Chicago Drive. Phone number is 616-669-0134. They said their website is "wwgreenhouse.com" but I couldn't get it to work. Tried "wwgreenhouses.com" that didn't work either.
    ANYway, they're awesome and they get way too much of my money each year. K.

• Rjustice_mi
    19 years ago

If you get a chance to go to Wavecrest Nursery in Fennville you won't be disappointed. It would be about a 20 mile drive and worth it.

• flowerluvr
    19 years ago

Here's the link...I got to the webpage, and requested a catalog. Lol, thanks for being an enabler, Karen! Sounds like DH and I might need to take a road trip :)

Here is a link that might be useful: WW Greenhouses

• Janet
    19 years ago

I've been to both Wavecrest and WW and love both. I visit a friend in the area often and we go to nurseries.

Enjoy your visit.

• dan_j
    19 years ago

If you're going to visit Wavecrest Nursery (616 543 4175), you should also visit Huntree Nursery (616 543 3761) on the Blue Star. They're just a few miles apart.

• chills71
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I had time enough to visit one nursery. I stopped at WW on the way home Wednesday. I didn't find anything I was personally looking for, but off my wife's list I got Coreopsis American Dream (for the best price I've seen anywhere, even mail order!!) I also picked up Persicaria 'Red Dragon' which they assure me will survive a zone 5 winter, so it should be fine in my zone 6(??).

~Chills

• karen_w
    19 years ago

Glad you found some things. My persicaria is thriving. Don't know if it's the same variety but it has variegated leaves and spikes of tiny hot pink flowers in late summer/fall. It's about three feet tall and three years old. I don't winter protect it.
    Often when I'm weeding I'll find a baby persicaria growing under taller stuff. And I'll delightedly pot it up for a plant swap or church sale.
    Isn't the indoor garden/fish pond at WW gorgeous?

• chills71
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I really liked the display gardens out front. I just wish they had one of the things I'm currently looking for. They had quite a large variety of grasses, last year I would have been thrilled.

My wife wished I had picked up the Gallardia Fanfare I debated getting. I'm not about to drive back 3+ hours though on the chance there are any left. (there were only two)

~Chills

• wwgreen
    19 years ago

I realize I am late to this thread, just stumbled across it.

Thank you for the kind comments concerning W.W.. We try our best, sometimes we succeed, sometimes we fail and learn. I hope we can continue to serve you in the future.

As always, you may visit us at www.wwgreenhouses.com, and you may email us with any questions you might have, free of obligation.

Chills - What were you looking for that we didn't have? And we always keep restocking during our open season, so I am sorry you missed the many Gaillardia Fanfare we had.

Again, thank you, and best wishes to you all.

Regards,
    Dave
    W.W. Greenhouses, inc.
    Â

• chills71
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I will say that I have checked out their website and it is well worth looking at, though I haven't gotten a plant of the month yet!

I was looking for edibles, as well as a couple unusual varieties of common things, like those new coneflowers, or a clematis I finally had to get through mailorder, triternata rubromarginata (though the one I got was very small and may not make it through the winter if its a bad one).

I really like the Persecaria I purchased and I hope your claim on its hardiness is accurate.

If I make it back there (I'm 5 mins walk from Lake St Clair, other side of the state) I'll stop in again and get those gallardia fanfare.

~Chills

• wwgreen
    19 years ago

Chills -

Again, late to this thread. We don't make it a practice to post on internet forums, but I felt I should follow up since you replied.

The newer coneflowers were in short supply last year, as well as most varieties being limited to certain mail order companies due to patents. We weren't allowed to purchase many varieties from the growers for resale. This year, there are plenty of them out there, with many that are better than last year's crazes.

We have never carried the Clematis you speak of. Don't worry, it is a vigorous variety, and you shouldn't need a large plant to get started.

Please let us know if you have problems with the Persecaria. We usually only warranty our plants through the season in which they were purchased, but we try to do all we can to help out. Just let us know. Although, you will have a tough time killing it. :-)

As always, you can check our website out and contact us anytime if you are looking for info or for a certain plant. Perhaps we can even ship something to you if you are interested and cannot find it near you. Again, not a sales pitch, just following up.

Have a great 2005 season!

Regards,
    Dave
    W.W. Greenhouses, Inc.

• chills71
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The persecaria was killed over the winter, it was a victim of a frost heave and it didn't come back. I did replace it already. (I got too many people who kept asking "what is that!?!")

I still visit your site and should I find myself back out west I'll stop by again.

Thank you.

~Chills

Actually, as you're in the industry, what are the chances of us seeing some of those hardy gardenia's in the warmer parts of Mi?

• sarv48
    18 years ago

I always go to WW the day they open - monstrous plants and a beautiful place to visit! Their outside gardens are gorgeous! (plus you get free donuts on opening day!) They are #1 in my book...

• karen_w
    18 years ago

Thanks, I didn't know about the donuts!!

• wwgreen
    18 years ago

Thought I'd stop by this thread again, and sure enough a few responses...

Chills - So sorry about the Persecaria. I find it strange as ours comes back every year. In fact, to keep it in check, we sometimes herbicide it (and other spreading plants) early in the season to keep it from spreading. Let me know how this one does, and if it doesn't come back due to natural causes, perhaps we can help you out on something else (since you bought the original one from us).

As for the Gardenias, we do not get into that area much. We have carried trees and shrubs in the past, but have dropped most of that line to concentrate on other things. To answer, my first knee-jerk feeling to claims of a "hardy version" of anything is doubt, unless we see it firsthand that it can survive. I am sure you would be able to find some at various local garden centers, but I would hope they inform the customers that "protection may be needed." :-)

sarv48 - Thank you again for your kind remarks. However, they are only donut "holes," to be exact. We would need the services of the closest 5 bakeries to handle enough regular size donuts for everyone. :-)

Hope everyone is having a good summer thus far.

Thanks,
    Dave
    W.W. Greenhouses, Inc.

Sponsored
SparkWise Electric (aka Max Electric)
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Expert Electricians for Electric Service and Lighting