Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pattio2_gw

Weed identification

pattio2
15 years ago

My weed/wildflower is about 12 to 18 inches tall. Single stem with long slender grass like leaves about 6 - 8 inches long , medium green colour, with with a deep centre vein that cups the leaf into a "V" shape at the stem, and growing from nodes about 1.5 inches apart up the stem. My speciman has 7 leaves. Some of the plants have several of these stems growing in the same cluster, presumably from the same root. On top of the stem is a yellow flower about 2 inches across with 8 slender petals. Inside the flower are some mahogony coloured stamens. Hope someone can help me. I've never seen this before in our area and now have several growing in the long grass behind the shed.

Comments (2)

• pondwelr
    15 years ago

It sure sounds like one of the tickseed/sunflower family.
    Altho, most have 8 petals. could be 'bidens coronata'.
    Some of the wildflower sites have good photos. Try a Google search. Good hunting. Pondy

• pattio2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks but that's not it. Leaf is single slender and grasslike every 1 1/2"up single stem with one flower on top. Flower petals are much more slender and pointed than bidens coronata. I've tried to search wild flower sites but can't find anything that looks like it. If anyone knows a good site I would love to hear from you.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting