Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul__gw

Anyone else's plants seem to be behind this year?

paul_
18 years ago

Just seems like a LOT of the plants are behind. Dahlias still not as tall as I'd expect for this time of year -- most not even budding yet. Same for my astilbes -- they have a looooong way to go from the looks of it. The tuberous begonia -- same deal. Clematis didn't put on its usual show this year -- only a smattering of blooms.

Now do have some plants doing pretty well. Lilies are mostly done blooming. The toms are growing and fruiting nicely. The mums are budding from the looks of it. And the petunias I planted in hanging bags look pretty good. Oh and can't forget the alyssum ... got a nice carpet of that around the birdbath [and that was from reseeding by last years plants].

Maybe I'm misremembering last summer. Maybe I'm being really impatient -- more so that usual. LOL

Comments (6)

• sunnyday2day
    18 years ago

Actually Paul, sounds like your lilies are ahead of mine down here in Saginaw County! :) I have some that haven't bloomed yet. Oddly, I think my clematis and others were pretty much close to being 'on-time' or a little ahead. The summer seems to be going by a little too fast!
    Tanya

• karen_w
    18 years ago

Was just discussing today the thought that things here in SW Michigan seem way ahead of time. Hibiscus is budded, which is usually an end-of-summer thing. Mums are budded. Rudbeckias opening. Blueberries (local) at the farmer's market, etc.
    Makes me want to scream SLOW DOWWWWNNNNN!!!

• diggerb2
    18 years ago

everything seems really early here south of cleveland since summer started. earlier in the spring it seemed like it would never get here-- of couse snow in May tends to do that
    diggerb

• karen_w
    18 years ago

It's been hotter than Hades here in W MI. I guess that's why stuff is early. Also why the garden has gotten away from me. I refuse to be out there in 92 degree, sunny weather!

• chills71
    18 years ago

I'm picking blueberries. My Stargazers are opening and the Asiatic liilies are all done. Clematis were ok, but most of them are on their creep year.

My tomatoes are getting there. I'm picking cherry tom's but the biggies are still green. My summer squash is only producing male flowers (and I don't know why)

~Chills

• WannaBGardener
    18 years ago

eastern U.P.
    All of our flowers are way ahead of time. The Lilies are nearly all passed And Phlox, (what the deer didn't eat) are blooming and they usually do not bloom here until August. It has been so hot and dry up here that I think that may be why things are early. In fact one or our Soft Maples is starting to show red leaves. AND the Blue birds are feeding their THIRD set of young. They always only fledge TWO sets of babies.