Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
durgandurgan

The growing of an Elephant Ear

durgandurgan
17 years ago

http://xrl.us/odz8

Pictures of a the first Elephant Ear

These are consolidated pictures of my experience growing my first Elephant Ear. (Colocasia Esculentum)

Why grow it anyway? This plant is rare in Zone 5 and is an eye-catching plant in the home garden. If successful as to size, I may put it on the front lawn next year. Different anyway!

Durgan.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Experience

Comments (7)

• harrietna
    17 years ago

I, too, grew an Elephant Ear for the first time this year. The only thing I did different, though, was plant mine in one of those really large light-weight pots. It's on my patio and growing like gangbusters, like yours. I'm really impressed with it and hope to be able to take it indoors maybe for the winter, or at least, into my garage to winter-over. Unfortunately, I don't have pictures to share.

Harriet

• wayner2000
    17 years ago

Hi, I usually start mine indoors in March and by the time May 24 rolls around they are big, bold and beautifull. Wayne

• jroot
    17 years ago

Neat pictures, Durgan . Mine are not doing well this year at all. Like Wayne I usually start mine indoors in March, but this year it was later. Mine are up now, but more like yours on day 45. Ah well, maybe by the end of the summer, they will look like yours and Wayne's.

By the way, Wayne has a BEAUTIFUL garden, the last time I saw it. I trust it is doing well this year as well under his attentive care.

• diane_v_44
    17 years ago

very well done, well shown, well grown.

• peter4
    17 years ago

Do you have to buy a new one every year, or is there a way to save the growing one and have it come up next year?

• karen_w
    17 years ago

I kept one that I grew last year. Just took it out of the pot before the first frost, cut off the leaves at the base, shook off as much dirt as possible and let it dry out. I kept it in a paper bag in a small pantry off my garage that's not heated, but it doesn't freeze either. I potted it up in the spring. Thought it was dead. I swear, it took 6-8 weeks before I saw any shoots, but it's going nuts now. I left its "nose" out of the dirt, much like you'd do with an amaryllis you're forcing. It seems to like that. More leaves than last year when I buried the whole thing. K.

• brenda158
    17 years ago

This is my 3rd season with the same bulbs. Dig them up in the fall, shake excess dirt off and then I stored them in the medium that I bought the bulbs in. I just put them in my basement. My neighbour has one that came in a container 2 years ago, she just cuts it back and puts the container and all in a dark basement.
    They like warm soil so I normally put in on a heat register about the end of Feb. or early Mar.