Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldman1_gw

Replanting Thinned Carrots

Oldman1
12 years ago

I live in a Zone 4 area. My carrots need to be thinned out. Some are the size of a ball point pen. Others are the size of the pens ink filler. If I take the thinner carrots out and replant them in a new row will they catch on and continue to grow? It is the end of july and there are possibly two more growing months.

Comment (1)

• linda_schreiber
    12 years ago

If they are already forming storage roots, the thinning is way late. No blame. Sounds like me (grin).

This is the problem. The tricky part is that you need to preserve the many very thin almost invisible roots and root hairs that are attached to the 'carrot'. Those are the things doing the work.

If the plants are far enough apart (several inches apart) that you can dig out and 'transplant' the thinnings without disturbing these all these fine roots, it is not impossible that at least some will take in another row. If they are close together, even thinning them now might rip or damage those feeder roots on the ones you want to save.

If it were me, I would clip to the ground the plants that were not the strongest, rather than 'thinning' them by pulling. Keeps you from cutting/ripping/killing the fine roots on the carrots you want to harvest.

My personal mantra.... "Next year. Ok. I can do this."
    (wry grin)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor