Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
connie1946_gw

LANTANA anything special I should know?

connie1946
18 years ago

I just returned from a local garden center and am so excited because I picked up a big pot of lantana on clearance. That's my style.....clearance :)

I am in NE Wisconsin.

I know it's a full sun plant. And the tag says rich moist soil. I remember growing it a few years ago in very sandy soil and it was happy there.

Anything special I should know about this plant to keep it looking nice? Should I feed it...and with what?

Thanks

Comments (7)

• karen_w
    18 years ago

Sure, feed it up. Let it dance hard before the frost 'cause it's an annual. Are you keeping it in a container? I like 20-20-20 for potted plants where I don't need to worry about a buildup of mineral salts.

• connie1946
    Original Author
    18 years ago

HI
    It's almost 4 feet wide already...so I am putting it in the ground.
    I found some info on the net about them. Didn't realize some have berries (which are poisonous) on them.
    Thanks for the reply.

• Heather__Michigan
    18 years ago

Lantanas are annuals here? What a shame, I was thinking about growing some. No wonder I never see them anywhere.
    H

• Ssstark
    18 years ago

I bring mine inside and keep it under lights over the winter. I've had the one for three or four years now : ) I've taken a few cuttings from it as well.

• connie1946
    Original Author
    18 years ago

WOW...had no idea you could winter this! Where do you live?
    What type of lights? Could it survive in a normal home environment in winter...or would it need a cool basement of something like that?
    I'm not an experienced gardener especially when it comes to keeping things over winter. Does it continue to bloom in winter..or does it just stay green?
    RE cuttings...it's rather a woody stemmed plant...
    How do you do the cuttings?
    BTW Do you feed Lantana? like: Miracle Grow? I ask because a website cautioned against feeding, saying it might slow down blooming. Thank you
    Connie

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    18 years ago

I've over wintered mine for about 5 years in its hanging container in a regular heated room hanging in a sunny window. Course it loses a lot of leaves all winter and is kind of messy but it takes off again hanging outside with some sun.

• connie1946
    Original Author
    18 years ago

That's great...I'm going to try that.
    How early do you bring it into the house? I have a streptocarpus that I have been bringing in and out for 3 years now. It too gets pretty ugly during the winter and starts looking like a giant sick spider at times.
    But it starts to bloom again around Easter....and is blooming like crazy out on my porch this tonight.
    Connie

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz