Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diggerb2

need help from chicago area gardeners

diggerb2
16 years ago

the weekend after the 4th of july we visited the shedd aquarium.

i was really impressed with the plantings. in particular there was a yellow nasturisium blooming in the plantings near the 'group visitor' entrance on the south(?) side of the bldg. these plants were really nice with stems about the thickness of a #2 pencil with a light yellow flower, the plant seemed viney.(i've never seen such a vigorous looking nasturisium)does any one know what it is? or who i could contact to find out?

for being just the beginning of july, i also could not believe how advanced many of the plant displays were. I'm from NE ohio and in theory in the same zone, we usually aren't frost safe until mid-May--which should be about the same time for you as well. how do your plants get so big so fast?

thanks for any help you can render, especially with question #1-- i'd relly like to grow that plant.

diggerb2

Comment (1)

• bradarmi
    16 years ago

1. Just send an email to the Shed Aquarium (or call the volunteer dept.) as sometimes volunteers help with the gardening. I am almost positive it is just a well-managed nasturtium, nothing fancy.
    2. As for the plants, if we have the same climate, theoretically, we should have the same blooming time. Oftentimes when I go on vacation in the Midwest I'll think to myself "xx shouldn't be blooming NOW" only to come home and find my own in bud. Plants bloom whenever they are ready...and at public places like the Shedd and other museums, they probably pick plant cultivars and varieties with extra long blooming times and disease resistance. The gardens are often planned so something is in bloom all the time.

Hope that helps

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz