Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
franktank232

What peach varieties grow for you?

franktank232
16 years ago

Just wondering what peaches you grow in your backyard/orchard?

I just grow reliance here along the Mississippi River near the MN/IA/WI border. Plan on adding Contender next spring. Would like to try Elberta too. Thanks for any thoughts.

Comments (2)

• whynotmi
    16 years ago

Hi Frank, you might want to post this in the fruit section. There are bound to be plenty of people in your zone there and it's usually pretty lively.

good gardening to you

• chrismich250
    16 years ago

I live just south of Ann Arbor. I will not have a crop this summer because of a late frost that froze all the flowers.
    I have 6 yr old trees of Elberta & red haven with a Sugar Princess (new '07).
    I have a 5 yr old weeping peach, awesome brilliant flowers, but fruit is bitter & hard-not edible.
    but remember they live about 15 yrs in MI. Ever year I MUST spray twice for European scale & peach leaf curl.
    I have onions & garlic planted around the base to ward off borers-don't know if it really works. I have European schafers, hornets & plum curio, so last year I used zip lock bags to 'bag" the fruit. I had a wonderful crop of sweet juicy peaches, it was worth all the effort.