Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthie23

Dusty Miller survived winter!!??

This is strange. I am 6a and these dusty miller that I planted last year, lived all winter, buried in snow, and now will be blooming.

I though they are hardy to zone 8.

Comments (7)

• whynotmi
    15 years ago

Oooh! Nice. Maybe you have a tiny micro-climate of zone 8 there? Could be a nice place to vacation in Feb. ;^)

• msaunt
    15 years ago

I'm in NE OH near the lake (where it's a tad warmer) and dusty miller comes back every year. My mother has had it in her back garden forever!

msaunt

• Ruth Sholtis_Furyes
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was surprised since it stayed nice looking too all winter. Lost some of the "dustiness" for a bit.

I am right on the lake too.

• merrygardens
    15 years ago

I'm in Zone 5 Michigan, and I, too, was pleasantly surprised to see this plant survive the winter, with no special treatment.

• paul_
    15 years ago

Not surprising -- my folks live in z5. They had bunch of DMs that wereat least 10 yrs old. Ripped just about all of them out last year or two. Folks just got tired of them after that long.

• karenforroses
    15 years ago

WE're in Northern Michigan, near Lake Michigan, and I've had Dusty Miller come back also, especially if we have a good snow cover winter. Snapdragons become perennial here a well!

• gardenwitchddr
    15 years ago

my sis in law has dusty miller as well and after doing some looking in most nothern states that get so found that it is in fact a perennial.