Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tomatoes aren't ripening

Posted by mary_il3 5a IL (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 30, 06 at 17:28

I'm in Northern Illinois at the end of July, with record heat--in spite of this, my perfectly good tomatoes are not showing signs of ripening--my neighbors have been harvesting for two weeks or more!
help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tomatoes aren't ripening

I finally picked 6 early girls and a handful of grape tomatoes. The thornless blackberries are starting to ripen too. The gourds have walnut size balls too. All our hard work is starting to show off. finally. it irritates me too in the spring when everyone elses daffodils and lilacs are bloming, and mine are still in buds. I even bought early lilacs for that reason, but I still a late display.

o

Hey Chris,

Have you applied any tomato food at all. This may not be the rigth time add it, but read the labels. I found the food helped alot.I always look for the earliest ripening tomato for about 64 days. I can find an early, middle amd late tomato you can have tomatoes right ino fall. good luck

Lynne

o

I always add homemade compost to the soil in the spring, so I don't use extra fertilizer, and mulch with old straw as the summer gets warmer. I will consider using tomato fetilizer next year, thanks for the idea. I do water them though. I could add some fert. to the lilacs for a good showing too. OKEY, blacky1 now I need a job to buy extra fert. for this big yard. If I could just find a place with free horse manure, that would help the soil in other areas-too hot to think about it now.

o

I googled free horse manure-and MSU has a web site. they have 3 places near me. guess I need to take my vitamins, borrow my son's truck and go get some. In fact I may have my son go get it as an early Christmas present.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here