Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
myhusbandswife_gw

Euonymus Scale!

myhusbandswife
16 years ago

The other day I discovered that one of our Euonymus bushes was infested with scale. At first I thought it was wilting because of lack of moisture, but upon closer inspection, it was COVERED with small white... what looked like eggs. From online research, I concluded it was scale.

Has anyone had an infestation and had their plant live to tell the tale?

There's way too many of them to treat, from what I can tell. I did prune it severely to get rid of the worst sections, but I've read that the adults are pretty hardy against insecticides due to their waxy coating.

Comments (3)

• whynotmi
    16 years ago

Hi,

I've had scale on other plants but not euonymus. Below is a link to some treatments that you might take a look at(scroll down a bit once you open the page). If you have a sprayer the job might not be too difficult. I've used the alcohol/soap mixture to some success on potted palms.

Good luck

Here is a link that might be useful: treating scale

• chrismich250
    16 years ago

yes, I have scale on my euonymus, mugo pine & european scale on peach trees. I found the scale about 4 years after I finshed the landscaping and in the summer I used the Bayer rose systemic applications, and it seems to work, they had alot of dead limbs in the spring, but the plants survived. The next spring I trimmed out the dead limbs, dipping the clippers in bleach, they filled in the next summer. Every spring I spray these plants with volic oil and hope for the best. Summer is when I seem to start to see the worse damage, so I better look now. the pump sprayer never work after a year for me, so I but a large squirt gun to spray the trees with-works great-just keep it away from the kids.

• myhusbandswife
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the tips. The bush was so infested, I euthanized it. :( However, now I see scale (a lot less) on another euonymus plant, so I'll go for the rubbing alcohol/water spray and see if I can eradicate it.