Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wdw58

annuals and perennials sown in fall

WDW58
10 years ago

I would like to get some annuals and perennials planted this fall but am not sure which ones are good to do here in southern Ontario. I have heard this gives the plants a bit of a boost for growing next year.
Can anyone suggest some seeds to plant in the fall or even in August ?
Thank you for your help
W Watts

Comments (8)

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

I would think almost any Perennial could be planted in the fall. Some you have to like some bulb plants. Annuals, that makes little sense unless you want something for the fall, as the name states, they last one year. So none would come up in the spring.
    Some annuals are self sowing, but they would need to bloom and go to seed, so i would think you would need to plant in the spring.

This post was edited by Drew51 on Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 20:07

• WDW58
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have been doing some research and there are many annuals that can be sown in fall. As they do self seed so makes sense that you can do the sewing and get the same results as the plants re seeding themselves. It is always a catch 22 if your seeds are going to grow but then it can be that way for anything planted :)
    Thanks for your comments

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

Sorry i didn't really answer your question. I'm interested in annuals and perennials that attract beneficial insects. I found a few of them. I grow a lot of fruit, so need bees and other insects to fight the good fight. The site might contain info that interests you too. Look around, seeds are very cheap from this source. Info and articles on annuals and perennials.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flowers for Beneficial Insects

• samhain10 - 5a
    10 years ago

This is one of those things I've worked on myself, with unsure success. Unsure, because for the most part the successful growth has been in areas where the plants might have actually been reseeds from a mother plant and not me at all. Mostly when I have had success with fall plantings, it has been moving babies or divisions of established plants to new locations. I'm looking at our weather right now and realizing this would be perfect: it's wet and cool now. What's it like where you are? You might hit the nurseries in the next few weeks and see if you can pick up some end of the season bargains. A little more money than the seeds, but better chance for success! - Still...some of my reliable reseeders are Annuals: shirley poppies, catchfly, nasturtiums (if I push them into the ground a bit for winter protection). Perennials: columbine, the mallows, centaurea montana, rudbeckia, liatris, johnny jump-ups and violets.

• CJ
    10 years ago

Stokes seeds has pages listing some seeds that can be planted in each of July, August, and September for growth the following spring.

There are also some flowers, like lupins, that prefer to be planted in the fall. I think they prefer the cooler winter soil temperatures to germinate.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Stokes perennials

• egbar
    10 years ago

add to samhain10's list of flowers I have seeded in the fall with good luck, hollyhocks, daisies, gallardia, bachelor's buttons, dianthus, balsam, poppy, maltese cross, lupines ,
    pansies, larkspur, columbine, foxglove, sweet pea, phlox, delphiniums

• mollyzone5
    10 years ago

I actually start my perennial seeds in pots in early summer.I sink the pots into a raised bed and the plants grow all summer and die back in the pots come winter.The next Spring they start back up and I have potted plants that I can plant where I want.The best part is, they are then 2 year old plants and will flower that year,after planting into their new homes.

• dazlr
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone for your feedback. Very helpful to me. Have a great winter . Looking forward to seeing what makes it through the winter :)

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company