Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
douglasont

Garden Centre Blowout

douglasont
17 years ago

All the garden centres are 'blowing out' stuff. What is a good deal, what is worth planting now, what will survive August heat etc. etc. etc.

Give your tips and stories of the deals you got this or last year.

d

Comments (4)

• douglasont
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I guess all you other garden types are out in that hot sun playing with the plants. I just cant do it!
    A few things I got last year that grew: -a wisteria I purchased at great discount last year made it throught the winter and is a very healty vine this year. -a little ornamental cypress (3'tall) did not make it throught the winter -I got it in Sept., kept it watered but it was dead by spring.
    DO

• jroot
    17 years ago

Sometimes one can get great bargains at garden centre blowouts. A couple of years ago, I acquired a yellow rose tree for two dollars...regularly about $20. Unfortunately, most rose trees don't survive our winters, but a friend told me that in Germany, they dig their rose trees up, and bury them for the winter. I have done so for a couple of years now, and it blooms well for me, coming out of the ground in lovely shape.

• Summer
    17 years ago

For several years I've gone to the annual Heritage Perennial Sale in September......just to have a look. I always end up with some great 'new' plants, in excellent condition, for a fraction of the price. Then I have to find a place to plant them. Don't need another single plant, haven't even finished planting, but come September, I'll be there.

Summer

• knottyceltic
    17 years ago

The University of Guelph Annual Plant sale will be held Saturday, September 9, 2006. No discount, but thought you'd like to know just the same in case there are any folks in the area.

Barb
    southern Ontario, CANADA