Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bowfrog

earwigs

bowfrog
15 years ago

Does anyone have a good natural way to control earwigs? Are there any plants that will repel these pests?

thanks... Mat

Comments (6)

• bludane
    15 years ago

Oooh, I hate earwigs! I've had very good luck using diatomaceous earth. It is natural, but you still need to be careful with it. It works well for other insect problems as well.

• colleen_mi
    15 years ago

If you do a search of the entire GardenWeb for "earwigs" you will find dozens of suggestions for non-chemical ways to control or at least reduce their populations. Tuna cans, beer traps, newspapers, boards. If you go to the Organic Gardening forum, there are some other creative ideas, too. Luckily, I haven't seen too many this year----YET!!

• pondwelr
    15 years ago

I dont have any, but my sister did, and they always seemed to lurk under rotting wood. Replace old RR ties with stone and see if that doesnt get rid of your problem.
    Pondy

• wannab
    15 years ago

Just saw on Gardening By the Yard, with Paul James, this morning. He said roll up a news paper, wet it down, and lay it in your garden. The earwigs will crawl up in the paper and he said just shake the rolled paper over a bucket of water and they will fall into the water. At our house they seem to like stone as well as wood. Any place that retains moisture in the ground, seems to be fine with the nasty little things.

• jansez
    15 years ago

Try taking a beer can/bottle (leaving some libation inside :Jansez

• treelover1960
    15 years ago

We used to have alot of them at our old place.I made a mix or regular dish soap and water in a spray bottle and got rid of most of them.just a couple ounces of soap with 1/2 gallon of water.Also glass cleaner will work.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus