Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kawaiineko_gardener

is it too cold to plant warm weather veggies?

I live in Boyne City. This is in the northern part of the lower peninsula.

Now I haven't lived here in a very long time, not since I was a kid. I know it becomes cooler here sooner because it's in the northern portion of the United States and where I live is in the northern part of the lower peninsula.

Even so, the weather for this time of year seems very awkward and unusual. It's cold and windy for July; it doesn't even feel like it's summer, rather it feels like it's fall.

I was planning on planting some bush green beans and cucumbers but my question is, due to the weather right now is it too cold to plant them now? If I were to plant them it would be from seed. I don't want to plant them only to have them die because it's too cold for them to germinate and thrive. I know green beans and cucumbers are warm weather vegetables, that's why I'm asking.

My other concern is regarding cool weather veggies. Cool weather veggies I want to plant are lettuce, spinach,

carrots, and turnips. Now I know that if the weather

is warm and/or hot they'll have a difficult time growing

and germinating.

However I know they still need a certain temperature range

to germinate. My question is, if I plant my cool weather veggies now, will they have a difficult time germinating and/or not germinate because the weather is too cold? Would it be okay if I plant them now? If I do so now, is it going to be too cool for them and will they not germinate?

Comments (2)

• rawb
    14 years ago

Hi kaw
    I'm pretty new to all this too. But I think if germination is a concern Why not start them indoors? A lil further north than me. But it does seem to be a cool summer this year. But any real concerns an answers specifically for your area. Give your county extention office a call and or look and see if the have a website. If they do they probably might have a FAQ section... oh well just a thought or two.. sure some smart people will come along soon enough.

But then again this greatlake forum don't get a whole lot of action... to bad!

• msaunt
    14 years ago

Both of those plants grow quickly, but you may want to see if your garden center has any cuke plants left, and just start with those. I ended up planting some cuke plants and seed simultaneously, and the from seed plants are almost caught up to the nursery plants. But at this stage, I wouldn't chance it. Beans, I would start. They're fast, and last year I grew them in a box on my balcony. I kept them covered with row cover into the fall and they lasted well. Row cover has become my new best friend, especially on the balcony.

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz