Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jojogardennewbie

That darn dog!!

jojogardennewbie
17 years ago

My darn ( I mean #%^%$#) dog!!! He dug up my bleeding hearts, and my new Astilbes. I managed to save a small prortion of the plants with some roots left on them and replanted them Do you think they will survive? Any advise, besides shoot the dog. Thought of that for a second but I love that lug. I am going to put a border up mabey that will keep him out.

Darn doG!!!!

Thanks Jolene

Comments (5)

• paul_
    17 years ago

Too bad you didn't catch him in the act -- disciplining him at that point might have had an impact. If you had barberry bushes, you could give them a major trim and lay down a thorny defense system using the branches. : ) If you had one of those electronic fences, you might be able to include the garden(s) in the off limit areas. Aren't there also some scent sprays that dogs are supposed to find distasteful?

• jojogardennewbie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks I put a 2brick tall border around the bed and we are doing training by the bed to teach destructo (real name Leo) that it is off limits. So far so good. I worked in the hosta bed.
    Thanks Jolene

• woof
    17 years ago

FYI
    I have the Lab from Hades.
    If it's in a pot it's his. if it's in the garden, he may pick it...in his world. In mine, I boil down some habs in a little water and spray where he is not meant to go. This includes the kitchen counter. One lick is enough. Won't kill him, but he remembers...good luck!

• knottyceltic
    17 years ago

I've done similar to WOOF but only works in the winter for me because my very large puppy (Standard Poodle/German Shep cross) thinks the shrubs in our woods are for chewing on in the winter. I paint the shrubs with hot sauce to keep him from grabbing at them.

Barb
    southern Ontario, CANADA

• firstthyme
    17 years ago

I have a 100 pound lab--We put up one of those 2 foot high wire style fences--just so he could learn the boundaries......he was doing pretty well until our tomatoes started ripening--I caught him eating ripe cherry tomatoes right off the vine! And when I looked at my little wire fence--it was bent almost in half! What am I going to do? Love that dog more than my plants, I guess.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz