lenland
17 years ago

I have an orange color trumpet bush/tree that gets

about 12-14' high. I cut it back in late fall to about

6' high.

I just was given a white angel's trumpet plant in a 1/2

gal pot. The plastic info stick says "full sun..grows to

60". Will this live during our Michigan winter if planted

in the ground or should I keep it in container and have to give it away for the winter as I have no place to keep

a 4-6 foot plant?

Comments (13)

• jroot
    17 years ago

Your white angels trumpet sounds like a Brugmansia to me. They are NOT hardy to our area, nor yours. I take mine in to the cold cellar for the winter, where it does not freeze, give it a cup of water every 3-4 weeks, and then take it out in April to get acclimatized for the summer. They will not tolerate any frost at all, and need sun to bloom.

The fragrance makes it all worthwhile.

I am indeed curious about your "orange color trumpet bush/tree that gets about 12-14' high. You cut it back in late fall to about 6' high". Tell us more about this one, as it sounds very interesting.....expecially as it is hardy. Is it the trumpet vine?

• lenland
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I was going to send 2 photos of what I understand to be an angel's trumpet, but I don't know how to do it with this forum posting. Can you display photos?

len

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    17 years ago

If this is indeed angels trumpet (not the closely-related brugmansia), it will not survive our winters (I am in Wisconsin). Its seeds, however, will. They overwinter in the soil, and will germinate in late spring when the soil warms. They can even become weedy if allowed... my neighbors grow it, and trim off all the immature seed pods to prevent this.

• jroot
    17 years ago

{{gwi:519045}}

The angels trumpet ( brugmansia ) are not frost hardy. Some plants' flowers are more pendulous in nature hanging straight down than this one, which I think is a Frosty Pink.
    The devils trumpet (datura ), some are hardy for the seeds. We find the white datura seeds will regerminate next spring. The purple or yellow datura are not hardy to our zone 5. Lower zones perhaps.

The seed pod for a brugmansia is long and slender. It takes about 4 years for the plant to bloom. The seed pod for the datura is round and spikey. We consider them annuals here. They will bloom a few weeks after germination.

• diane_v_44
    17 years ago

That is a good photo to show people as to the difference in Datura and Brugmansia. Have you posted this ever on the Brugmansia forum.
    There are always new people coming onto that sight.
    It is very simple but excellent

• gw:roland-grow
    17 years ago

could you tell me the difference between an angel trumpet and a moon plant, we were looking at the photo of the angel trumpet and it looks the same as our moon plants, we have dozens of them

• jroot
    17 years ago

The term "moon plant" is quite vague. I have heard of moonflowers which are very small and open up only at night. I have also heard of moon flower vines which closely look like a small version of white brugmansia, but are more closely related to morning glories. As you can see from the previous discussion, there is a lot of confusion between datura and brugmansia. Both of these tend to open more in the evening, and release their scent in the evening. Many horticulturalists confuse the two. I have a horticulturalist ( for 20+ years) who told me that I had plants he had never heard of. I believe he was referring to the brugmansia aka angel trumpets. Even noted authors confuse the two. The picture I posted above really explains the two.

• wildcitywoman
    17 years ago

That thing is just too nice . . . I want it now! Ha ha!

(mind you, I have no idea where I'd keep it - I'm already crammed full of plants that are going to be spending the winter indoors)

• opus_flower
    16 years ago

We bought a 1/2 acre in Tennessee but hadn't been by in awhile to look at it until yesterday. When we got there, there were these beautiful white trumpet flowers with these spikey seed pods about half way down the stalks. They were everywhere, beautiful!! I was afraid to touch them thinking they could be poisonous. They were tall with big dark green leaves. Does this sound like an Angel? We will save these flowers before building if they are a "friendly flower". Any tips?

• jroot
    16 years ago

opus flower,

Given your location, and especially given the fact that there are spikey seed pods about half way down the stalks, then I would lay my last dollar ($CDN) on the line that they were indeed datura. Here they often reseed themselves. In Nevada, they are weeds. Tell me, if you pick the flower, after about 30 minutes does it smell like peanut butter? Then it's Datura. Wash your hands before touching your mouth or eyes etc. They are poisonous, but I love them, and have them here in Canada alongside my Brugmansia.

• annie_det
    16 years ago

This location seems to be the spot for the 2nd question I have today. I bought my first Brug this year from Wayside Gardens quite late in the year (it was about 4" high) and it has grown to about 2.' It was the only one I had ever seen and was wondering how to winterize it until I stumbled on to this site. On my way to the freeway yesterday, I saw one that was probably 8 feet high and 8 feet around. It was on a sheltered side of a house. Would it be possible to leave this in the ground year round? How?

• tyler_23
    16 years ago

I have six brugmansias that grew outside in the ground now growing inside in 3 gallon pots. Three of them are two years old and three I purchased this past spring. After first frost when all the leaves show their distaste for the cold I dig up a very large root ball and than savagely slam it into the ground to dislodge as much soil as possible. This usually leaves a very dense inner rootball about a foot in diameter with long tubrous roots growing in a five foot diameter. I prune off all the long roots, remove as much as three quarters the height of the tree, and completely defoliate the remaining branches leaving only very tiny leaves if they haven't been killed by the frost. The brugmansia back buds readily, and a month after being brought indoors there are plenty of new branches growing even though they are in a, gulp, north facing window. Once the new growth opens up, I'll chop it and force another round of back budding and further reduction of height. This keeps the plant at a reasonable size and allows the trunk to thicken each year to provide for bigger trees each year. The two year olds are 2' high and have trunks 3+inches in diameter and are content even near an open window which I close at night when it dips below zero. A very resilient plant.