Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madtripper

How do you move a whole garden in October?

madtripper
19 years ago

I will be moving on October 1 and want to take quite a few of my plants with me. I've been deviding them so I can leave half and take half to my new larger property.

Most of the plants are perennials along with a number of shrub seedlings/cuttings that I have been collecting this year in anticipation of the move.

The new place has no gardens - just a lot of grass. I don't expect to have a main garden in place until maybe Oct 15 or later.

So how do you do this?

I am thinking that I will put most things in pots, and keep the plants in pots in a protected area until spring.

Would it be better to dump a bunch of top soil on the grass, plant everything and then transplant again in spring?

Or dump the top soil, plant and plan not to move them for at least a year?

Or get the garden done quickly and even if it is late October, plant then?

I am leaning towards keeping them in pots so that I can put them in a well protected area during the winter - better protection than in an open garden?

Comments (11)

• jkirk3279
    19 years ago

Well, I know I'm too trusting. But my first thought was to network with GardenWeb members to find someone who lives in your target area. You could ask them to babysit some of your plants, maybe help you plan the new garden, all in the spirit of fellowship.

Or, if that creeps you out, just pick the site for the new garden, and build raised beds starting with thick newspaper, then wood chips, then topsoil, built right over the grass.

The newspaper will kill the grass, then decay. You can get a pretty high sided raised bed if you use straw bales for the sides.

• grannymarsh
    19 years ago

My choice would be to keep them in pots that are well drained and protected from severe weather. Nurseries over-winter them like this, hey, maybe you could ask a nursery owner???

• WannaBGardener
    19 years ago

Having done this myself a time or two (moved a lot in the Air Force) I took the plants in black nursery pots, and then would plant pot and all in the ground for the winter. In spring work up your garden and then take the plants from the pots and plant them. They will establish root systems much better in the spring.

• jroot
    19 years ago

I was just going to suggest what WannaBGardener did. Use the black pots, and bury them, pot and all, in the ground in the new place until you are ready for them. I would suggest a shady or part shade spot for their tentative home.

• douglasont
    19 years ago

Just did this last year! I only moved the very rare and the very sentimental plants to cut down the work load once I got into my new place. I put the plants in the ground in a very protected side yard and have been moving them as new beds are ready. Didn't loose one. I really like what 'WannaBeGardner' did.... pot and all into the ground. All the best 'madtripper' and know that by this time next year you will have a great garden starting to emerge. Happy moving.

• Janet
    19 years ago

I moved on September 29 six years ago. I had everything in pots and just sunk them in the dirt, covered with leaves and everything over-wintered perfectly. I still do this today with divisions I do in the fall. That way they are ready to go in the spring for plant sales and swaps.

• madtripper
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks a lot eveyone.

• Katt
    19 years ago

All the best on your move;bear in mind certain plants that may not survive with ice sitting on their crowns moved in black pots-I did this a couple of years back-if you have Hemerocallis and Hostas and Roses you might want to tip those pots on their sides instead of burying them in the ground pot and all-I lost some (really) expensive cultivars not doing so.Oh yes,a load of soil,smoothed out to a certain extent would make a great 'holding bed' for your potted tresures until Spring.I'd Roundup the area for desired Spring planting before winter so you can get going on it right away early in the season,if that suits.Moving is always SUCH a hectic time full of details....best luck.

• nogo
    19 years ago

I wouldn't even worry about planting them. I usually wait until end October and even November to transplant my garden, and everything works out fine. Prepare your new garden, transplant your plants, then , if you're really concerned, bed them down with straw for the winter. They'll do fine.

• madtripper
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I did move in Oct, and moved a lot of plants. This is results.

Plants already in pots (I started growing in pots in anticipation of the move) were put behind the garage in a sheltered position, about 8 inches below grade and then covered with leaves. Almost all made it just fine. A few small rock garden plants that like it dry ended up rotting - should have removed the leaves sooner.

Quite a few perennials were just dug up and moved into new holes. It is still early here but almost all have sprouted so I am guessing I will loose very few of these.

The move went very well.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

• Justine_London
    19 years ago

Glad it worked for you!
    I have "moved" myself and certain plants on two seperate occasions now...and with good results. We take along our indoors furnishings and collections on a move...our "outdoor-plants" should be included also!
    g.g.t.a., Justine