Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jojogardennewbie

New member and new gardener

jojogardennewbie
17 years ago

Hello everyone, I live in zone 5 and have just this year started to

enjoy gardening. I have 5 children and last one left home last fall.

So now finally I have time for things I like to do. I have a new 5 by

20 foot flower bed out front that gets full sun. So far I have planted

purple coneflowers and shasta Daisy's(crazy dasy) in it in a diagonal

fashion. I lined the outside with marigolds. I hope they do well. Any

advise would be appreciated. We had the soil tested and adjusted to

their specifications.

Also I would like to start a fern garden in a shady area of my back

yard with a with some kind of water feature. The area I am talking about is 12 by 24, and is partial shade. More shade than sun, Due to a beautiful large old oak tree. Any suggestions?

Looking forward to talking with all of you

Jolene

Comments (8)

• chills71
    17 years ago

Sounds like you have a good start going already.

For the area with the shasta daisies (I've got a similar area) I would recommend you consider daylilies (the variety is astounding).

The shady area would look good with ferns, but also consider astilbe (they look ferny, yet they also bloom and give height to the area).

~Chills

• jojogardennewbie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes, yes! I have just ordered Astilbile to be planted in the fall. Yeah! That's encouraging that I may be heading in the right direction for my new shade garden. Thank you for the advice I can use all I can get.

When you suggested day lilies, did you mean put them in the same bed with the daisy's and cone-flowers? Like scatter them between?

Thanks again
    Jo

• blacky1
    17 years ago

You might want to look at a Japanese garden using ferns and maybe some hostas, azeleas,astilbes for some colour. A lovely Japanese cutleaf Maple would be nice with the water feature near by. Bamboo fountains can be bought at Home Depot or Rona, but this time of year they may be sold out. Humber Nurseries is a great place and worth the drive there.Lots of plants, things to see, a helpful people.

Always fun to garden.

PS. I'm also new to the site since middle of July.
    blacky1

• jojogardennewbie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi blacky where is Humbar Nurseries? Which town
    Nice to meet you
    Jolene

• woof
    17 years ago

Shade? Golden Seal. You won't be disappointed. Have you tried going onto the seed exchange,,,Canada? Lots of great people willing to share.

• blacky1
    17 years ago

Hi Jolene,
    Humber Nurseries is just outside from BoltonI usually go along the 401 west to hwy 27 north to hwy 7 then left on 7 and go to hwy 50. The signs are marked clearly but they also have one of the largest Butterfly Conservatory around.Great for kids and moms alike. Weekdays are better to go the weekends are busy with limited parking usually down the hwy rd.The road is not like 401 traffic but you still need to take care. There number is 426/798-8733 or 905/7940555. Wear goods these lots of walking and things to see.
    Hope you get a chance to go.

Lynne

• jojogardennewbie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Lynn, I will make it a point to get there.
    Woof I have not had good luck with seeds. I don't know what I am doing wrong. They sprout but then die when they get to an inch or so tall. They are outside where they only get the moring sun and shade in the afternoon. They were in a plastic green house for growing seeds, and I kept them moist.
    Is golden seal a perenial?
    Thanks again Jolene

• dreamer53
    17 years ago

Im kind of new to this site...How do I get to the seed exchange>? Is it PART of the garden web or a totally different site?

Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH