Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chitown033

My Palm Tree in Chicago

chitown033
17 years ago

This is my Trachycarpus Fortunei that is now enjoying its third summer in the ground, here in Chicago, IL.

This was the first season in 2004:

{{gwi:867422}}And here it is as of last week:

{{gwi:412782}}I've only had to protect it for three weeks each winter. Last winter, I didn't even lift a finger for protection at all in January.

Kyle

Comments (4)

• jojogardennewbie
    17 years ago

I have to have one! It is so beautiful. I did't think we could grow them here. I am from the Kankakee area.
    Jolene

• chitown033
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, technically we can't because it will most likely die from one or if not from two winters unprotected. When it gets below 10 degrees, it needs some light protection. If we get below zero as we usually do a few times each winter, it gets a good deal of protection; rope lights, frost cloth and a plastic bag. Here is a picture of it with the full protection that takes about 15 mins to put on:

{{gwi:867425}}As I mentioned earlier, I only do this a few times each winter during the cold spells. I've had to protect for three weeks each winter. The rest of the 345 days a year, it is completely on its own even enduring snow events.

Here it is on Christmas Eve:
    {{gwi:867427}}Still looking great in the middle of January:
    {{gwi:867429}}And here it is in the biggest snowfall it has seen:
    {{gwi:867431}}
    Kyle

• jojogardennewbie
    17 years ago

Thanks for the advice, It will go so well near the pond. I am going to give it a whirl in the spring. Thanks again.
    JOlene

• palmboy2006
    17 years ago

First off, chitown033 you are my hero! =] I have a few questions for you:
    How long do you keep the protection on for?
    Do you fertilize your trachy?
    Have you had any problems with mites or disease?

Keep up your great gardening, i admire your work and i'm going to try to follow in your steps. Thanks!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting