Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wildcitywoman

Miracle Grow

wildcitywoman
17 years ago

I've been advised at Garden Helpers' forum (both American and Canadian Gardeners) that Miracle Grow is something you shouldn't even START using.

It seems, according to a handful of people there, that the product deteriorates the soil. And, it seems, you have to keep using it once you've started or the plant fails.

Something like Second Debut in the late sixties . . . heh! heh! Women started using it and the results were marvelous -as soon as they stopped their faces looked terrible.

I don't know what to think - I'm continuing on with the application I'm doing on my plants this week, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't just scrap the stuff.

I certainly liked the pick up it gave my plants when I started it a few weeks ago, but I don't want my plants to fail.

Comments (5)

• chrismich250
    17 years ago

I have 8 large planters on the front porch that I water every other day. I filled them with soil moist, good potting soil, Osmocote, and a cup of worm castings. All but one planter were doing okey, not great. So I gave everyone a feeding from a bucket, 2 weeks ago, with Miracle grow, wow, they ALL look full and lush now. I planted those same purple wave petunia in a compost improved bed nearby and ugh, they are spindly and barely blooming. So don't tell me that fertilizer and extra water don't make a difference. I will give the planters 1/2 strength Miracle grow this week, and again in 2 weeks. then probably a frost will get them-ugh-not wanting to think about the cold weather-I'm not ready for the summer to be over yet. Every other year I add compost to the beds and rewood chip them, but I will buy that bottle on the hose applicator for next summer-the soil can't be changed that much from the MG, and besides the soil improvement alone isn't giving me the results that I want. I want to try some horse manure in the back, to add later this fall, for soil improvement-it has worked in the past. I'm getting too old & fat for all that heavy work.

• busyd95
    17 years ago

Miracle Grow seems to work for me, especially on the lawn (who'd a thunk it), been using it for years and no problem, except, of course that I can't grow anything acidic without a lot of work, but then my soil is naturally sweet anyway.

• lee53011
    17 years ago

Compost is not a fertilzer, but a soil ammendment. Compost tea would be equivalnet to Miracle grow as a spray. The only fertilizer I use is alfalfa pellets and soybean meal. I apply once in spring and once in summer on my flower beds. This feeds the soil which feeds the plants.
    Miracle grow is a temporary thing, that is why you have to keep applying it every month or so. If you feed the soil, after a few years everything grows like you are spraying constantly with miracle grow. Also a healthy soil helps plants to be free of disease and also to some extent helps stop insect damage.
    Everything in this bed, with the exception of the banana, was grown from seed, this year. The bed was built this year , lasagna style, and fed coffee grounds and soybean meal.

Lee

• lee53011
    17 years ago

Oops! Picture was bigger than I thought.

Sorry!!

Lee

• merrygardens
    17 years ago

Don't be sorry, Lee, it's lovely. You made very good points, as well. Building up the soil for long-term results is an earth-friendly approach.