Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soldn2slavery

Dicentra leaves turning black

soldn2slavery
16 years ago

Hello.

This is my first post and I'm kind of new to gardening.

I'm starting a shade garden this year and I have a bit of a problem that I hope you can help solve.

I have newly planted dicentra (luxuriant) and the leaves are starting to shrivel and turn black. I've had one plant completely "disappear." I was told that it was due to over watering. Is this correct or is there some other reason?

Thanks.

Comment (1)

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

I had the same thing happen to me a several years ago. It started turning black the first year I planted it. I believe my soil was also getting too much water, we had just put in a north facing raised bed (dense unammended top soil) along with a new lawn and I was watering often. It was barely hanging on by a thread at the end of the season and did not reappear the following year. I think both of our problems are due to over watering. One thing you can do is dig it up and add some sand to the soil around it to help with drainage. It works quite well. I have included a link that will help out a bit I think.

Here is a link that might be useful: Check the added info at the end of the post

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio