Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
connie1946_gw

acorn squash ...first time growing for me

connie1946
18 years ago

I planted one acorn squash plant this sping. It is now over 4 feet in diameter...has many blossoms. To my great surprise I peeked under the leaves and there sits a big squash already. The reason I am surprised it that everything else on the plant seems to be in a different stage...and there is only one squash and many blossoms. I never grew veggies (except tomatoes) before. The reason I ask this perhaps childish question is I just figured if there is one squash the plant ought to have several at that stage? Do they grow late into the fall? How do I know when to pick this squash? It is dark green and I see a orange spot on it. Is it important to pick it now. Or will it get bigger?

Comments (2)

• grannymarsh
    18 years ago

If the stem that attaches the squash to the vine is withered looking and tough and the squash is dark green, IMHP, I would cut it off and EAT It. This may prod the vine to get producing. No, it is not unusual for plants to be all in different stages or to be mostly all in the same stage. The plant will grow until hard frost kills it.