Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jroot_gw

time to start cuttings?

jroot
16 years ago

My Blaze died but came up from the root stock as a single white which blooms for 1 day. :(

In a nearby cemetery, there is an amazing shrub rose with gorgeous double blooms, and the plant must be at least 80 years old, with trunks several inches in diameter. Obviously it is tough as nails as it gets NO protection from the north wind where it is.

I would like to take several cuttings of the plant, and was thinking that early September might be a good time. Do you think it will have enough time to formulate good roots to get it through the winter if I started within a week's time?

I was thinking of cutting the top 8 inches of a bloom end: removing all but the last 2 leaves, using a semihardwood rooting hormone; starting them in potting medium with good drainage; and then placing them in a protected shady northern light area of the garden. Am I on the right track?

Comments (5)

• whynotmi
    16 years ago

Hi,

You might want to post your question in the rose forum. There's a whole section of propagation.

Good luck! :)

• jroot
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, whynotmi .

• diane_v_44
    16 years ago

Jroot, I am glad that you posted that here and I noticed it

I came across an abandoned house last summer, well 2006, and it had the most magnificent gorgeously fragrant white rose as well A huge old plant with no one caring for it at all

I took a few cuttings and tried to raise them, but none overwintered. Would like to hear what happens with your instance. I know that the rose bush is yet there and I would give it another try

Maybe I should try to dig some of it up, ?

• jroot
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I started two cuttings of the beautiful cemetery rose in ground, covered with a 2 litre pop bottle with the bottom cut off. So far, they look good. We'll see in the spring just how well they make out. I started some hydrangea last year and they looked good until May when they collapsed.
    Wish us luck.

• diane_v_44
    16 years ago

Do hope you can get them to root.

Why did you not start them earlier in the yar or maybe you only found this rose bush.

Would they have had a better chance earlier in the year or not so