Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shirley_plastow

August Planting

Shirley Plastow
16 years ago

It's been so dry that my little raised vegetable garden really suffered this summer. I've cleaned it out and dug it up and am thinking I'd like to sow some veggies. It's early August and I'm thinking I'd like to sow some green beans (bush), some kale and perhaps some peas. Do you think that these would do well at this time of year?

Does anyone have any other ideas of veggies I could plant now? I was also thinking maybe some beets for the leaves and small beets.

Comments (2)

• will_2006
    16 years ago

you can grow all these things starting now. also leaf lettuce but not just yet. mid Sept time. swiss chard, beats for the greens , spinach, will all do well. Peas love cool nights and not hot days so they will do very well.
    The big thing is the unknown, what will the fall be like, that is a huge variable. Some root plants such as carrots will do alright, but only as baby carrot styles. as well as radishes. these may be a little strong but will do okay anyway. I have done all these as fall plantings but of course depending on the year at hand.
    good luck with it.

• rosewoods
    16 years ago

It seems so odd that people are still planting things this far...LOL! I'm still so very new to gardening in general that I thought, pretty much, that the only time you could plant anything was spring and early summer :) Just goes to show I have a LOT to learn yet!

~~Amanda

Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH