Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toronto_gardner

Help!! Need tonnes of top soil

Toronto_Gardner
19 years ago

Our house was the last one built on our street and my backyard became the dumping ground. To make matters worse, I live by the lake, have sandy soil and a steep slope. I've just finished putting in retaining walls to lessen the slope and I now need to back fill with several (MANY!!) truck loads of soil/compost/manure - anything to help improve the soil without breaking the bank.

Any suggestions?

Also, how much top soil do I need? 12"? more? Less?

Comments (14)

• HomeMaker
    19 years ago

Don't know where you are in Toronto, but Sunnybrook Stables in Wilket Creek Park has horse manure mixed with straw from mucking out the stalls free for the taking. Don't imagine you'd want a whole lot, but it's great to mix into whatever soil you do get.

Shredded paper, if you have a source, is also a good addition, since you are just starting. By next spring, it will be nicely broken down. Newspapers laid out over the area and watered well (cover with soil if you can) to keep them from flying about will also break down and help to amend the soil.

One of the corners of our yard dropped about 2 feet - and it was not useable space. We put 20 yards of top soil into our yard to level it out.

Measure the area to be filled in and get the average depth. That will help in calculating how much you need. For the bulk of the soil, I think you will just have to call around and see what prices are out there. Make sure that you get good quality top soil or triple mix.

Good luck!

• casper1
    19 years ago

For what its worth, top soil can mean almost anything,including soil that has been coloured with soot.Most companies are above board, but! I personally prefer triple mix,and I check at the yard before ordering, unless my friends recommend. Math test(save for future)--Length in Ft. X Width in FT. X Depth in Inches, Divide by 12,Divide by 27 = Cu Yds. 1 cu. Yd. 1 In. thick covers 325 Sq. Ft. : 1 Cu Yd. 5 In. thick covers 68 Sq Ft. Rai

• ianna
    19 years ago

Well you can gradually build up with soil with compost, but compost will eventually break down, requiring replenishments. Fresh horse manure with hay is something I would be wary about because it may be too hot for a garden and require time to completely get composted, and also because the hay could contain seeds which may lead to a weed problem later on. Where in Toronto are you exactly located? YOu can get garden centres to truck in the soil you need. The commercial ones sold in Loblaws or Home Depot, Canadian Tire, etc. are more expensive. If you have a truck, you could go to a garden centre and load up on top soil?

• matt_in_mi
    19 years ago

You can check to see if your city/town operates a composting facility. Our city operates one that has compost available in the spring. It is fully composted and is very cheap, compared to topsoil. They don't charge you to go and load your own with shovels/buckets. If they have to load it for you, they charge $10. If you need it delivered, they deliver in 3 yard dump trucks for $30 load, or for $6 a yard on orders over 45 yards.
    this may be offered in your area.
    good luck,

• mlmoorhouse
    19 years ago

I believe the city of Toronto does give away free compost at various sites, check out their website or google toronto compost. The city of Markham gives away free compost twice a year. I'd guess many other cities have similar plans? The Markham free compost giveaway is busy! Often there is a 15 minute wait for a parking spot at the heaps of compost that the city dumped in the parking lot.

Mary Anne

• jkirk3279
    19 years ago

So, you've terraced the slope, breaking it up into steppes.

Now, since the soil dumped on your lot is NOT topsoil, you want to rebuild?

Got it. You can build raised beds, ...do the horse manure-straw mix, then mulch heavily with wood chips.

Basically, lasanga gardening is what you need. The slope becomes important only for drainage concerns.

I'd plant bushes at the terrace borders to lock the soil in place.

How's the pH in your soil? If it's sandy it should be just slightly acid. You could plant Huckleberry bushes as your erosion countermeasure.

Then groundcovers like cranberry. Or Wintergreen.

My only concern with the raw horse manure is possible complaints about bacteria runoff into the lake. People get nervous about fecal coliform bacteria.

No matter what you tell people, that horses these days are wormed monthly and kept in top condition, there's bound to be someone who smells manure and throws a fit.

• HomeMaker
    19 years ago

Having extensively used the horse manure from the stables I mentioned, I might as well chime back in about the smell. There really is none. I usually get two garbage pails full and spread it over a large area, not just in one spot, and the slight smell there is disipates in less than a day.

I don't plant into it directly, as yes, it will burn. Mixing it into a large amount of topsoil and even adding some of the soil that's there now and spreading it over newaspapers will leave you with great soil by next spring.

In the situation that Toronto_Gardener describes, I'm thinking she/he will be planting in the spring, so this remaining summer and coming fall will be a great opportunity to prepare the beds for a planting spree!!

• Toronto_Gardner
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks to everyone for helping out. i'll use all the great ideas cuz i don't just need improved soil, i need any soil just to backfill the space (several feet deep and wide) behind the new retaining walls. At the end of the day, i will end up buying truck loads of top soil.

so, just one question remains - how much top soil should i have? 12"? more or less?

p.s. i am now just workiing on the soil and will only plant in the spring.

• Christina_M
    19 years ago

Check the City of Toronto website (http://www.toronto.ca/compost/pubs.htm)
    Gives you all the details re: compost (available free from April to October 2004), xeriscaping, etc. -- very helpful info.
    ~ Chris.

• Dave_zone_5
    19 years ago

To fill in the area get some fill dirt, usually it's subsoil from somewhere else. Something with some clay in it is good as it doesn't erode much compared to sand/loam soils.

For topsoil the amount you want depends on what you intend to grow in it. For a lawn 4" is sufficient. If trees, veggie garden, flower beds etc. I would get more. 12" would be the maximum practical amount of topsoil, no need for more than that. I would consider the cost of fill dirt vs. topsoil. If the difference is minor then get 12" of topsoil, otherwise 6-8" is enough for anything.

With respect to what others are saying about compost/manure, I suggest skipping it altogether. The stuff is great to use in soil intended for gardens, but it breaks down to nothing and it therefore useless as a filler. If you want the stuff then just dump and inch or so on the top once you have your fill dirt and topsoil in place.

• homelandgardenctr
    19 years ago

I tell my clients that if you planning to fill in a large area to a depth of a foot or more you are going to need GOOD topsoil. Good topsoil can be planted directly into and will not need to be fertilized for a few years. It would be best to measure the square footage of the area accurately and take the square footage and the depth to a reputable garden centre. They will tell you how many cubic yards you will need. For reference to fill an area 5' x 5' 1 foot deep you will need approx. 1 cubic yard.

• chills71
    19 years ago

Matt in Mi....where in Mi are you...

I'd be there with shovel in hand on opening day.

~Chills (in St Clair Shores)

• newcomer_on
    18 years ago

I cut two pine tree last winter. The grass are almost die.I am planning to reseed my lawn this year. People told me to buy triple mix to put on the old lawn. I do not know what I should put on the lawn and where to buy good quality soil? I live in Missisauga.

Thanks in advance.

newcomer_on

• wildcitywoman
    18 years ago

How about just drive around on Wednesdays when they pick up the bags of garden waste - you could just throw leaves in there, wet it down, then pile the top soil on.

It would be a way of recycling and saving money.