Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
october17_gw

Next year I'll plant more

october17
18 years ago

What will you plant more of next year?

For me, it'll be

California poppies. They were so bright and cheery. A few that I had lopped off are about to bloom again! I wish I hadn't torn the others out!

Lobelia Cardinalis. It grew about 6 feet tall in a whiskey barrel! The red is so pretty and a hummingbird visits every day.

Next year I won't plant:

convolvous. The flowers were pretty, but the plants were leggy and ugly. I thought they'd be bushy. Maybe I should've pinched them.

Celosia, Pink Candle. It just started to bloom and isn't very pink at all, if at all.

Tansy. They are barely two inches tall. Had no idea they'd grow this slow. Maybe, I'll try to start them real early indoors. They are supposed to repel japanese beetles.

Comments (11)

• chills71
    18 years ago

I'd rethink the Tansy. I had two and had I known then what I know now I would have avioded them. They stink, they are much larger than I had thought (6+ feet) and they self-sowed prolifically (think chives).

on a positive note I didn't notice any JB eating them.

I am going to plant more 'yellow wonder' alpine strawberries and I will likely prune my currants and root the cuttings for more currant plants.

~Chills

• Juliana63
    18 years ago

For path edging:
    Mini-Marine Heliotrope - 14" tall (not so mini),drought tolerant, fragrant, gorgeous dark purple

For Containers:
    Terra Cotta Million Bells Petunias - vigorous, cascading, no deadheading

Gartenmeister (sp?) bush fuschia - dk foliage, brilliant coral flowers, no deadheading, hummingbird magnet

For Perennial border:
    Bishop of Llandaff Dahlia - dk purple foliage, small scarlet flowers, no staking, would be gorgeous en masse

Juliana

• karen_w
    18 years ago

Roses that survived a summer of neglect (this one) and still look good.
    Namely...Rio Samba, Moonstone, and Secret (all hybrid teas).
    Rudbeckias and coneflowers because now that I have a rabbit fence, I actually get to see blooms!
    Dahlias because my garden needs color this time of year and they provide it.

• suprstr
    18 years ago

Next year I an going to be planting more Candy Lily's. The leaves look like Iris' & they are blooming now. The flowers look kinda like orchids. I love em! I am also going to plant more Zinniah seeds next year. All my Zinniah's are in bloom now & they add an awesome punch of color to my garden.

• brugs_bunny
    18 years ago

Suprstr, I have the candy lilies and I love them too! My choice for what I would plant more of is more Musa Basjoo. I plant 3 this year and love them. If you aren't familiar with them, they are hardy banana trees but smaller ones.

Kathy

• chills71
    18 years ago

I was disappointed by the candy lilies I planted. Mine only bloomed yellow, had I gotten the real pretty redish-orange I would likely have not been bothered by the plant's other habits.

~Chills

• pam_aa
    18 years ago

Here are some other ideas. I am a self-confessed plant hog, I want everything. These babies I really liked this year and are on the list for next year. I started all of these from seed fairly easily.

Perennials:
    Rudbeckia fulgida var. fulgida, Orange Coneflower  Blooms later than Goldstrum. Looks great now.
    Echinacea Paradoxa, BushÂs Coneflower  A beautiful yellow coneflower that blooms before the purple ones.
    Asclepias tuberosa, Butterfly milkweed  Never have enough Milkweeds.
    Ruellia humilis, Wild Petunia  Easy small cutie for hot sites.
    Carex grayi, GrayÂs sedge  Upright with Club-like seedheads, moist soil.

Annuals:
    Heliophila longifolia - Cute little wild flower with rich blue flowers, doesnÂt bloom real long though, repeat sow.
    Salvia coccinea, Scarlet sage - Love everything about it.
    Any Nicotiana - Adorable cottage type plant. Plus they invite themselves every year.
    Profusion Zinnias  A staple, they just never stop looking good.
    Hypoestes phyllostachya, Polka dot plant  Great container plant for shade.
    Incarvillea sinensis, 'Cheron' - Creamy trumpet flowers, airy habit, great in containers too.
    Ceratotheca triloba, South American Foxglove  Soft hairy leaves. Tubular flowers on tall spikes. Plant close together.
    Ageratum Houstonianum, Leilani  Love taller Ageratums.

• seeds_of_love
    18 years ago

Hopefully next year I will be in a new location, with more gardening space! Our house has been up for sale for over a year now.:( This year all my gardening was in pots, due to
    1- very small backyard with little or no space for gardening.
    2- forest of shade trees behind, meaning little sun.
    3- pure clay soil, the kind you mold and bake!;)
    4- lots of critters from afore-mentioned forest.

That said, wherever I end up, I will definitely plant more of...

Mint- just started peppermint this year from a clump I got from a friend. It is doing great in several large pots.

Lavender - only have three baby plants that I started from seed this year. Definitely want a lot of this fragrant plant!:)

Thyme - Only one tiny plant from seed so far. Would like to try some of the other kinds, like lemon thyme.

Zinnias - First year with them, and very pleased. Easy to grow, bright colors. Definitely a repeat.:)

Green Beans - hopefully I will have space for a full row or two of these next year, but the 10 climbing plants I had in pots this year did great!

I want to try lots more herbs next year as well - Calendula, chamomile,self heal, feverfew, pennyroyal, comfrey, etc. Plus lots of different mints, and I want to start collecting scented geraniums!:) Lots to plan for!:D

• diggerb2
    18 years ago

I'm actually going to plant next year!!. I buy all sorts of seeds and then never plant them.

I hate trying to garden in NE Ohio, winter lasts too long. spring is 3 days in may or june. and by father's day drought seems to be setting in with the heat. by mid july everything is crispy and winter seems to start in september-- but you can be sure of snow before halloween, but the leaves haven't fallen yet.

Ok, I exagerate, a bit.

so next year i'm going to plant and actually water, to see what happens.

I'm planting zinnias, zinnias and zinnias.
    I'm going to move my magnolia (not enough sun)
    i'm going to put in a korean spice viburnum, azalea viscosium, some type of an elderberry-- i think a cutleaf black one, ravenna grass, regular old joe pie weed.
    i'm going to dig up my failing front perrenial borders-- divide, separate, amend and lay out ina more outlandish color scheme (i'm actually going to put those bright orange poppies with dark purple iris and light blue catmint, and chartreuse alliums-- cause it works)
    I'm going to build proper trellises for my clematis.
    I'm going to plant basil, lavender, rosemary and thyme as well as dill and fennel. and I'm planting some tomatoes-- big fat juicy ones that taste like tomatoes are supposed to taste.

OK everybody can email me next september and ask how it went.
    digger2

• Irmgaard
    18 years ago

Butterfly Weed, I've never had it before this year and I noticed a number of monarch catapillars on it and an many monarch butterflies in my garden. It was very cool.

• garden_witch
    18 years ago

DH bought me a rototiller, so I will be planting more of just about everything =)
    Next year, all my green beans will be Blue Lake pole beans, nothing else tastes as good.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting