Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jackarias

Off topic - What to do and see in Chicago in October

jackarias
18 years ago

I'm going to be in Saint Louis (October 20th) for three days then Chicago (October 23rd) for three days.

I've never been to Chicago, there must be a dozen must see, must do things there. I would appreciate suggestions.

Gary

Comments (18)

• Chitown33
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Gary,
    I'm glad you'll be visiting the Windy City. Don't worry, it's not really windy though. You will be here at the height of fall which could be pretty, or probably very dull with such low rainfall this year. Weather can be very crazy. It can either be 80F or 40F, so bring a wide range of clothes. It's cold for us too in fall!
    You definately need to get downtown. Navy Pier (Those dinner cruises are great), the John Handcock Building (Top floor is breathtaking), the Shedd Aquarium, the Planetarium, and the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry are all feet from each other. There's lots of shopping along Michigan Avenue also. Lake Michigan is a sight to see, and the immediate coast will be a bit warmer along that time of year with the warm lake water.
    Here is a link with pretty much the things I said:

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-2824824-chicago_things_to_do-i

I hope you enjoy your stay,
    Chitown

• Peach_Fuzz
    18 years ago

My personal favorite is the Art Institute located on Michigan Ave. Tues. is free day, if you're a bargain hunter. The Shedd Aquarium is also very neat, especially if you have kids. The Chicago Fire soccer team is also fun to see. They play at Soldier Field and it's usually no problem to get tickets the day of a game. Hope you have a fun trip!

• pitimpinai
    18 years ago

If you have little time to see them all, at least walk down Michigan Avenue and visit Millennium Park. It is right on Michigan/Monroe/Randolph in downtown. It has many wonderful features for all ages. You wouldn't realize that it is actually a roof garden - the largest roof garden in the US, I believe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chicago Millennium Park

• cathier
    18 years ago

I just spent six months working in Chicago. Millenium Park is a definite must see. Northerly Island just south of the Museum campus is the former site of Miegs Field, a small airport. It is in the process of being turned into a nature park. There is a nice walking path there with the best views of the city skyline as well as Lake Michigan.

• Bogart
    18 years ago

Hey! I'll be in Chicago for the marathon - my first visit also so thanks for the siteseeing tips from me, too!

My hotel is on West Washington...close to the Milennium Park, I think? And the Art Institute?

• pitimpinai
    18 years ago

Bogart, what is the address of your hotel? If it's not that far west, you'll be within walking distance to the Art Institute and Millennium Park. You can also walk easily to Navy Pier and all the parks along the lake. Welcome to Chicago. :-)

• diggerb2
    18 years ago

when we go to chicago, we always have to go to berghoffs
    for lunch-- its just tradition. but definitely the art museum and the field museum. did any one mention the planetarium? its near the aquarium. Its better for a hot summer day for an afternoon show in the cool/dark theatre-- i usually fall asleep but really cool off.
    diggerb
    ps is there still a lounge at the top of the handcock tower--we used to do drinks at sunset-- as a cheaper alternative to the observation desk.

• bud_wi
    18 years ago

The last time I visited Chicago they had a trolley service that went to all the popular tourist stops. I think it was FREE but even if there is a charge it is a lot more fun and probably cheaper than cabs. They had maps of all the stops on the trolleys.

Navy Pier has a FREE art gallery that a lot of people don't even know about, featuring a stained glass window collection - the largest collection in the world. You will also find shopping and restaurants there and a public area with view of the lake where you can sit and relax. There are tour boats there where you can take a tour of the lake and view the Chicago skyline.

If you plan of attending any entertainment venues DO NOT MISS the Blue Man Group at the Brier Street Theatre. You will NOT be dissappointed I guarantee! You can take the whole family but VERY young children might find the light show overwhelming and get restless. The theater district has many quaint, upscale bistros for indoor or outdoor dining afterwards.

I don't know if you are coming from a large city or small town but as nice as shopping on Michigan Avenue is, it is really not much different than what you might find in any large city and is very pricey. I would recommend shopping on Lincoln Ave. where there are lots of unusual and unique boutiques in ALL price ranges from $$$$$$$$$$$$ to $. You are sure to find items that you would not find in your home town. The trendy furniture stores will ship things out for you. The clothing stores sell one of a kind merchandise. Shoe store sell European brands. There are also inexpensive ethnic delis right along side pricey upscale trendy cafes and bistros. The area is clean and safe.

I've taken architectural tours in Chicago. You can tour Frank LLoyd Wright, prairie style homes, and even the skyscrapers. Tours are tailored for special interests. I don't know about garden tours but I am sure they exist.

A tip for visiting the Shedd Aquarium; The line is HOURS LONG and I was told that tour groups have priority - they get in right away. I think if you have an advance ticket you get in faster also. You may try to find a tour group that visits Shedd. Personally I don't like to get locked into tour groups but sometimes they are the best option rather than trying to wing it and spending the whole day driving around looking for parking and standing in line getting tickets every where you want to go.

The Science and Industry Museum is a MUST SEE. Something for all ages with 'hands on' interactive displays not just displays behind glass. The Museum of Natural History is great but small children will be BORED and cranky after about 20 minutes.

When ever I am in a new city I always stop at the concierge desk that hotels have in the lobby. Yes, even if I am not staying there. They have maps and brochures for the taking. They are supplied by the Chamber of commerce and various civic groups and museums. Some are supplied by 'for profit' venues and they are happy that you take them.

And of course, ask around, once you get there! You may find out about a one day event or something special going on just that week. Waiters and bartenders are good sources for this. They hear about all the events going on around town and can give you tips on where to park or where to eat when you are there.

Another tip; carry your ID with you at all times. Unlike the city where I come from, in Chicago they card EVERYONE. So if you plan to order a glass of wine with dinner have your ID with you so you don't have to run back to your hotel room to get it and have the experience ruin your evening. ALL the nightclubs card EVERYONE at the door to enter. Yes, even people in their late 40's.

Another tip to make your visit more enjoyable; I have found when traveling every city has a sort of 'dress code'. Key West is _incredibly_ casual. Atlanta is very 'dress up'. Chicago tends to be one of those 'dress up' cities. Also the weather can change from hot and humid in the morn/afternoon to downright cold in the evening, all in the same day, so plan for that so you don't have to waste valuble time shopping for different clothes than the ones you brought.

Another tip: In Chicago the panhandlers tend to be very aggressive. They tend to hang around the Art Institute a lot more than in other areas. The only city I've been to where the situation is worse is San Francisco. I'm not going to get all political here, but I recommend that you plan ahead how you choose to handle panhandlers. They can spot a tourist and will zero in on you.

Have fun and report back in this thread any interesting and unusual attractions that you found on your trip. Especially GARDEN TOURS if you find them.

• gardenberry
    18 years ago

Don't miss Chicago Botanic Garden! Depending on what days you plan to visit there are lots of activities (Bluegrass festival on Oct. 1-2, weekends have a Chef Series where chefs from Chicagoland teach cooking techniques, and of course, the gardens are one of the most beautiful in the US and have interesting displays year-round!

• sarv48
    18 years ago

Hang onto your purse!! I am from a small town and everyone here is very trusting. I put my purse on the back of my chair, with my coat over it (in a Borders Bookstore) and it was stolen. They had it all on tape.. We go every year and that was the FIRST year I had taken a purse. In former years I put a fanny pack under my coat- will do that again - never will take a purse again.

Can't add to places that others have mentions, other than The Cheese Cake Factory for food- yum.... PF Changs another yum. We always check out the shows that are on too.

• kec01
    18 years ago

and for one last suggestion...www.timeout.com/chicago will have listings of all events/shows/performances/restaurant reviews etc. It's a weekly publication so it's worth checking shortly before your Chicago visit. There is still a lounge at the top of the John Hancock building and it DEFINITELY a cheaper alternative than the Sears Tower...plus you can rest your feet with your beverage of choice! On the west side of Chicago is the Garfield Park Conservatory which is one of the largest and oldest in the US, and has both indoor and outdoor gardens - if you drive, park very close to it, though, neighborhood's a bit iffy. Have fun - 3 days will just allow for a taste of what the city has to offer!

• october17
    18 years ago

If you like persian food, take a cab up to Reza's. It's about 5500 N. Clark. Great food! The Botanic Gardens are pretty far from downtown, you would probably need to rent a car. Dick's Last Resort is a fun place for a drink or to eat. House of Blues has a good restaurant. Also, for some great Cajun food, Buddy Guy's is the place to go. He's usually got some free music at dinner time. It's just south of downtown. I think about 900 south. And oh yea, the Bean at Millenium Park is cool. Hopefully, it will be completed by the time you visit. Rent a bike or some rollerblades and take the lakefront path. Beautiful.

• pitimpinai
    18 years ago

The Lurie Garden in Millennium Park is absolutely stunning right now.....the real life Piet Oudolf's garden....

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    18 years ago

Chi town, don't mean to correct you, but

"the Shedd Aquarium, the Planetarium, and the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry are all feet from each other".

It's the Shedd, Planetarium, and the FIELD MUSEUM of Natural History that are walking distance from each other...not the Museum of Science and Industry. That's well south of the Loop, in Hyde Park. The Museum of Science and Industry is only of interest to very small children and is designed on a very elementary level. It's free so it's always packed. The exhibits are all sponsored by industry.

I differ about the Field Museum being boring for young children. There are lots of activities designed just for them, while there are many others at an adult level. I'm a former employee, so watched a lot of those exhibits going in and can testify as to how much has changed if one has not been there in a long time.

• dirtdiver
    18 years ago

Corrections on corrections. The Mus. of Sci. and Industry is not free, at least not to adults. Most of the museums have free days here and there. Some of our museums are as interesting for their architectural detailing as they are for their exhibits--the Shedd Aquarium comes to mind. I don't know if they still will be doing their Thursday evening events at the museums that late in the year, but it's a great way to taste the museums without hordes of kids.

Three days isn't a lot of time. There are lots of easy don't-miss things like the downtown parks and fountains, of course. The city of Chicago maintains a website that's a good source of info for festivals and other city-sponsored events. Metromix.com may be helpful as well. The Chicago Cultural Center, right across from Millenium Park at Michigan and, I think, Washington, often has free concerts and performances and is a very lovely old building inside. Having no idea of what you like to do with your time and money, it's hard to say whether you're someone who should be checking out the lakefront Segway tours or if you should be scheduling a Friday night gallery crawl. Taking in some live small theatre is usually a decent bet. Lots of reviews in the Chicago Reader, a free local weekly paper that comes out on Thursdays. If you like jazz, you should be able to find someone good at the Jazz Showcase, or, if you want to enjoy jazz in a reputed Al Capone joint, the Greenmill at Lawrence and Broadway usually has respected acts in a very cool old space.

It's often repeated that Chicago is a city of neighborhoods, and if you're so inclined, it might be nice to get out to one or more of them for a meal or two. Neighborhoods that are reasonably close to downtown are the Taylor Street Italian area, the Pilsen Mexican neighborhood (great free museum too, with a good Day of the Dead exhibit that time of year), Chinatown and Greektown (I classify this more of a downtown restaurant row than an actual neighborhood). Farther north are a considerable Vietnamese neighborhood (off the Argyle stop on the CTA Red Line) and the Indian neighborhood concentrated around Devon Avenue. Big Polish community that stretches north along Milwaukee Avenue around Irving, Belmont and on. Mainstream upscale neighborhoods that might be worth visiting for a wealth of restaurants, boutiques etc. include Lincoln Park, the Southport strip near Wrigley Field and Wicker Park--once a scruffier arts/ethnic neighborhood, now rather tonier.

As far as green spaces (or russet and golden spaces, as will likely be the case in late October), I agree that the Chicago Botanic Garden is farther than you might want to go (it would suck up most of a day). Agree that Garfield with its conservatory is great. There's a smaller one next to the zoo at Lincoln Park (zoo and hothouse both free). Lurie Gardens at Millenium Park are nice enough, and pretty much all of downtown is nicely landscaped these days.

• bud_wi
    18 years ago

The exhibits at the Museum of Science and Industry is not totally designed on an elementary level for children. My neighbor's son is going to med school at the U of Chicago and he had told me that the med students are required as one of their "homework" assignments to take a tour of the Body World exhibit there. Children aren't even allowed to view the cadavers on display there without a parent, or with another adult, along with, a signed parental permission form that can be downloaded from their site. Children aren't allowed to ride the Segways there either.

The Museum of S and I used to have Thursday nights reserved for adults only so that museum goers could enjoy the place without rambuctious children running around. Plenty of adults went there together and enjoyed the museum without bringing children along.

While it is not 'free' to enter, they do have some free days which are constantly changing. The touring exhibits are always an extra charge after entering - even on free days. It is like that at the Chicago Institute of Art also.

I realize the place is not for everyone's taste. Nothing in this world ever is.

Museum of Science and Industry:
    http://www.msichicago.org/exhibit/exhome.html

I haven't been to the Natural History Museum in quite some time and after checking out their website I can say that it has really changed and now looks like 'fun for the whole family'!

Tip: While visiting the Museum of S and I, check out the Smart Museum just west of there, located on the University of Chicago's campus. They don't have their October schdule up yet but they just had a recent run of; Cubism Lithographs, Moderm Glass and Ceramics, and Asian Rennisance Art to give you an idea of what they offer. Best of all - it is FREE!

Restaurant tip: I'm not going to recommend any specific restaurants. I realize that not everyone is going to gobble up Pakistani/Greek/Hunan/Italian or any other ethnic cuisine with gusto or be interested in a vegetarian meal or a $65 steak ala cart or want live music blasting while they eat. My tip is to _ask the locals_ where THEY go for whatever type of restaurant you are looking for. Don't even think about trying one of those restaurants advertised in those free tourist books or newspapers. I've worked in the restaurant business and believe me, if a restaurant HAS to advertise (unless it is a Grand Opening) there is probably something wrong with it. Good restaurants can fill their seats just by word of mouth.

Marcie

• Mozart2
    18 years ago

Jackarias:

1. The Missouri Botanical Garden

If you haven't been to the Missouri Botanical Gardens in St. Louis, I recommend that you spend some time visiting this extraordinary and wonderfully delightful garden.

For a look: travel here to their web site - and explore it thoroughly. You'll find an online tour of various parts of the garden.

http://www.mobot.org

If you link to the site below, you'll be able to take a virtual tour of the garden.

http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plantfinder/Plant.asp?code=Q260

They have an excellent resource of information and one link - this one to Paeonia lactiflora 'Duchesse de Nemours' - will give you an idea of the extensive information you will find on line.

http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plantfinder/Plant.asp?code=Q260

2. The Art Institute of Chicago

Of course, the Art Institute of Chicago is a must. The Art Institute is located on Michigan avenue near Adams street. If you walk out the door and head west on Adams for a few blocks, you'll find "The Berghof" - a very nice German restaurant and moderately inexpensive.

This link will allow you to explore what's in store for your body, mind, and soul.

http://www.artic.edu/

After a long, enjoyable, refreshing tour of the Art Institute, you'll be in need of some liquid refreshment and some excellent German food. So here's the link to the Berghoff:

http://www.berghoff.com/

The second link will get you "inside".

http://www.berghoff.com/Berghoff/home.html

3. The Second Presbyterian Church

Off the beaten path - a bit - is the Second Presbyterian Church, which is once part of the "Gold Coast" of Chicago around the turn of the century. Hidden behind the facade of this old church are several huge stain glass windows by Louis Comfort Tiffany.

Here's a link to explore:

http://www.ci.chi.il.us/Landmarks/S/SecondPresbyterian.html

4. Prairie Avenue and the Glessner House

Prairie Avenue is a short distance from the Second Presbyterian Church. Following the Fire of 1871, this street became the city's most fashionable neighborhood, home to the Armour, Field, Kimball, and Pullman families and once referred to as the "sunny street that held the siften few."

Here's the link:

http://www.ci.chi.il.us/Landmarks/P/PrairieAveDistrict.html

5. Located on Prairie Avenue is the famous Glessner House designed by Henry Hobson Richardson. If you're up to doing a little "homework" before your journey, I'd highly recommend the reading of Lewis Mumford's small book: "Sticks and Stones". It is still the best introduction to American architecture from colonial times to the beginning architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright. Tours are avaiable.

Again, here is a link:

http://www.ci.chi.il.us/Landmarks/G/GlessnerHouse.html

6. Then there is the "Biograph Theater" on Lincoln Avenue, which is near the campus of Loyola University - Chicago. When I was a graduate student in Library Science at Rosary College - now Dominican University in River Forest, IL, I used to take the Green Line "L" and "haunt" the many used books stores located just down the street from the Biograph Theatre. After exploring the used book stores - which are now mostly gone due to increasing rents - I'd have some good English food at a genuine pub - The Red Lion - I think was it's name - located on the opposite side of the street and just north of the Biograph. Fortunately, it is still there and the food is still very good along with the atmosphere.

Here's the link to the Biograph Theatre:

http://www.ci.chi.il.us/Landmarks/B/BiographTheater.html

7. Again - off the beaten path - a bit - is the wonderful Garfield Park Conservatory - a turn of the century conservatory of more than several huge greenhouses featuring a wonderful array of plants, sculptures, and other things that delight the senses. From their web site, it appears that this unique conservatory is growing into something even more spectacular.

Again, here's the link:

http://www.garfield-conservatory.org/

8. Of course, what would Chiago be without exploring the home and studio of the world famous architect, Frank Lloyd Wright. His home and studio along with many of his designs are located within a very short distance of each other in Oak Park.

Again, here's a link to explore.

http://www.wrightplus.org/homestudio/homestudio.html

And here's a link to the Oak Park Visitor's center:

http://www.oprf.com/opvc/

9. Of course, if you're traveling by car from St. Louis to Chicago, you'll probably traveling on I-55. On your way up to the "Windy City", you may wish to stop at the Dana-Thomas House in Springfield, IL - designed by Frank Lloyd Wright in the early 1900's.

Again, here the link with extensive information about one of his better "Prairie Houses".

http://www.state.il.us/hpa/Thomas.htm

Had you been traveling during the summer, you might have enjoyed a concert at the Rees Carillon in Washington Park - located west of the Dana Thomas House.

10. While some folks would head you up to the Chicago Botanical Garden in Glencoe, I suggest, instead, a nice trip to the Morton Arboretum in Lisle, IL. This arboretum contains over 1700 acres with winding roads, hundreds of walking/hiking paths; an outstanding horticultural library; a wonderful restaurant and gift shop.

The link to their main web page is listed below.

http://www.mortonarb.org/

This link will provide a link to the visitor center and other related places.

http://www.mortonarb.org/branching_out/branchingout_visitor_center.html

Here's the link to the map of the Morton Arboretum with many, many related links.

Here's the direct link to the Sterling Morton Library at the Arboretum.

http://www.mortonarb.org/visitor_information/smlibrary/smlibrary.htm

Again, for the sake of history, here's the link to the history and mission arboretum.

http://www.mortonarb.org/visitor_information/history_mission.htm

Of course, since you're traveling in October, what better way to enjoy some fall color at the arboretum than to link to here.

http://www.mortonarb.org/color/Oct2005.htm

Of course, if you have a little time available, I've also provided a link to events for the month of October.

http://www.mortonarb.org/events/Oct2005.htm

And, finally, if you're really interested in exploring the Morton Arboretum in Lisle, IL, you might also wish to have a link to visitor information in Lisle, Il for housing, dining, etc.

So here it is:

http://www.lislecvb.com/

11. Finally, well - not really - there's too much to enjoy in Illinois or in the greater Chicago area, here's some information on the Chicago Botanic Garden. While it is a very nice place to visit, I personally much prefer the Missouri Botanical Gardens in St. Louis and, again, would highly recommend a trip to the Morton Arboretum instead of the Chicago Botanic Garden in Clencoe.

So here's the link:

http://www.chicagobotanic.org/

Well, I hope that this little "tidbit" of information has most useful in enjoying your visit to Chicago.

Oh yes, there's one final thought - especially if you have the time and inclination to visit either the Garfield Park Conservatory or the Morton Arboretum, bring your camera!!!!

Best wishes for an enjoyable journey to my former native state.

Bill

• chicoregonian
    16 years ago

BUD WI,

I think you need to travel more. In response to your comment about the "pan-handelers being aggressive," I don't think that is the case at all in Chicago. I grew up there, and now live and work in Portland, Oregon where the homeless population is much greater. They are everywhere here. The city is also very dirty compared to Chicago. If "pan-handelers" seem aggressive to you, perhaps it is because you seem uncomfortable to them. If you need to respond to them instead of ignore them, simply say "no, im sorry." That's all you have to do. I think the "pan-handeler" situation in Chicago is nothing for visitors to be concerned about when they take a trip to the city.

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts