Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosewoods_gw

Trumpet Vine

rosewoods
16 years ago

I have the opportunity to take some of my dad's trumpet vine and have some questions before I plant it in my yard. I am very aware of its invasive quality, and actually welcome it in the area that I am thinking of planting it (an old chain link fence in the far back yard, well away from other plants and the house). I know this will sound stupid, LOL, but in addition to attracting hummingbirds, will this vine also attract a lot of bees? I'm also considering planting it along an old pump shed - no longer in use, just a frame that the vine can destroy at will if it so chooses - but the shed is sort-of next to the driveway and on the other side of it I have a small perrenial bed (where my miracle coreopsis is growing...LOL).

1) Will the vine attract so many bees that it would be unwise to plant it next to the driveway where we'll be getting in and out of the van and

2) Do you think it will grow under the pump house and strangle my perennial bed?

Thanks for any advice! I appreciate the feedback :)

~~Amanda

Comments (6)

• Drakens
    16 years ago

As I just spent some time this evening yanking up sprouts, I would never recommend to anyone ever planting this menace. However, you do get plenty of hummingbirds. I've never noticed many bees, but lots of ants. Seriously think twice before planting this monster. It doesn't spread evenly, you'll find sprouts everywhere, and if you don't keep up with it at least a couple times a week it will take over everything.

• rosewoods
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks drakens :) As I said, I know it's an invasive one - how far out from the original are you finding the sprouts and how long has your original been planted? I'm just curious now about how vigorously this grows.

~~Amanda

• Missy, Traverse City, Mi Z5
    16 years ago

I have had my trumpet vine for three summers now. It has not grown anywhere except where I planted it. It is right next to a rose and perennial area and has not invaded that area yet. I have not noticed that it attracts bees, but it does attract ants, at least it did before this year. I haven't noticed a lot of ants on it this year.

• pitimpinai
    16 years ago

A friend of mine has been fighting trumpet vines for years. His next door neighbor had it growing on the garage. The trunk was at least 5" thick. The neighbor removed the plant when a new garage was built. My friend is still trying to get rid of the vines that keep shooting up everywhere in his garden....even on the other side of the house far away from that garage. I would not plant it anywhere on my property.

• momkr1_aol_com
    12 years ago

Oh my God....I'm sorry I'm reading this so late. My trumpet vine was also planted near a driveway and it is ruining my driveway as the plant is coming up through the 4" thick asphalt. NEVER I have tried everything to get rid of it and it continues to get worse.

• on_greenthumb
    12 years ago

Wow - I planted it expecting that it would be very vigorous......Not so....it's never gotten more than 12' tall and hasn't flowered for me...planning on doing some changes this year, but it's been a pretty one for me so far