Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toronto_gardner

Help with dying Yulan Magnolia

Toronto_Gardner
15 years ago

I have a young Yulan Magnolia that only bloomed for the first time this spring. About a week ago, just overnight, the leaves wilted and now they are all brown. There is nothing on the leaves (eg disease, insects etc.)

Anyone know what happened? Can I still save it? What do I do?

Your help is appreciated.

Comment (1)

• madmarks
    15 years ago

I have a Magnolia grandiflora (Southern Magnolia) that did a similar disservice. The leaves that normally were a healthy, medium, shiny green, curled and went brown just this past July. I have no clue as to why. However, I suspect the the unusual amount of rainfall we have had this summer may be the cause.

My soil is clay, that I mix with compost and sand to create a better growing medium. Given the amount of water we had on almost a daily basis, I tend to doubt the ability of a clay base soil to drain properly.

In desperation I redirected the water away from the tree with a small furrow. The tree is now responding well and new leaves have sprouted.

I am not sure if this helps or not. Given that your situation involves a different type of Magnolia and a different soil, there may be a very different cause for the dieing off of the leaves.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths