Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mystery Flower

Posted by chisue (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 20, 11 at 18:13

Sorry I can't do a photo. I have a 'gift' flower amongst my coneflowers in a sunny garden. It's just shot up since the beginning of August. I'm 30 miles north of Chicago. Best I can describe:

Four feet tall. Multiple stalks from the base.

Leaves are single, green, not glossy, largest are 4" long, 1 1/2" inches wide at base, to a narrow tip, smooth edged, whitish underside.

Flowers are deep purple spikes made up of tiny individual blossoms. One spike at the tip of each stalk and other smaller spikes branching out. Top and largest spike about 6" tall.

My lawn man says it is a perennial, but he doesn't know the name.

Thanks for any ideas.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mystery Flower

sounds like maybe a liatris also known as gayfeather not sure but hope this helps

o

jaco42 -- Thanks for your reply. I think I have identified it. It's Buddlea (sp). Glad some little bird decided to 'plant' it in my garden. Now I have to figure out when I can move it, as it's at the front!

o

Glad you were able to id the plant. I am in N.E. Ohio and move the butterfly bushes anytime as long as I get a big enough rootball with them and keep watered till they settle in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here