Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gillian_to

No Trumpets on Trumpet Vine!

gillian_TO
18 years ago

Lush greenery, but no flowers .. gets afternoon sun..

Any ideas?? :)

Comments (10)

• hydrangea2
    18 years ago

Same with me! Anyone, please?

• sunnyday2day
    18 years ago

I learned the hard way NOT to fertilize these. It's the same with the burning bush...NO fertilizer or it won't turn red. Hope this helps. :)
    Tanya

• CarolAnne
    18 years ago

I ahev the same problem. Beautiful vine in a large pot. Two years in a row - no flowers.

I planted morning glories with it but I make sure I trim the MG so it doesn't take over the trumpet vine.

Might not plant the MG with it next year.

• brenda158
    18 years ago

Mine flowered for the first time after 3 yrs, If I'm not mistaken it flowers on old wood, or maybe new wood lol. If you look it up it should tell you. Just to let you know I hated the blooms, they are really messy (fall all over the place) and they are a haven for hornets, bees, flying ants and I'm almost convinced any other insect likely to be in your yard. I pruned all mine back and I won't be allowing it to flower again.
    Unfortunately my neighbour loves it or I'd pull it. But even she had to pull it off the side of her house because it was lifting the siding.
    Brenda

• brenda158
    18 years ago

I just looked it up and they advise a good spring pruning to help encourage growth. Just make sure you really want to encourage it lol.

• frogsntoads1
    18 years ago

A friend of mine has a yellow trumpet vine. It flowered for the first time. It has been growing in the same spot for ten years. Yes, hers took ten years to finally bloom. I told her it finally bloomed because her soil is no longer good garden soil. If you have fertile soil, you will be waiting a long time.

• bud_wi
    18 years ago

A neighbor of mine had a trumpet vine growing over her stockade fence that never flowered in all the years she had it. Last summer she said she was digging it out and getting rid of it because it never flowered. She never "got around" to it and this summer it is blooming fabulouly! Maybe it overheard us talking about it's proposed demise. LOL. :) :) :) :)

She didn't do anything different to get it to bloom. Maybe it just takes years before it blooms? Maybe it is because this summer has been incredibly HOT?

I tried planting trumpet vine this year and it never even grew.

• jmn53_yahoo_com
    14 years ago

My trumpet vine has been growing up and around my mailbox for 8 or 9 years - not one bloom. I've also moved suckers to other areas, and the same thing. I'll try pruning the 'vine from hell' all the way back next spring, to see if I can force it to bloom. I only plan on being in this house another 3 or 4 years, I hope it hurries up.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:868140}}

• LLangr
    11 years ago

I finally got my to bloom and it's absolutely beautiful. Orange is such a hard color to incorporate in your garden by in the Twin Cities Metro area. At least the flowers I like.I did end up reluctantly cutting back my vine and I'm so glad I did! I read that it flowers on new growth and I guess in this case it worked. I never cut it back before because I liked how it screened, but didn't get the flowers. It is also in sun and climbs freely on my deck post. Stopped fertilizing it too!

• otnorot
    11 years ago

I just want to tell you be careful.I used to grow this vine and it started to take over my garden,the roots went under the sidewalk and started to lift it.I decided to get rid of it but it took 7 years to finally kill it off.And I'm not the only one to have problems with this vine.
    Bill

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH