Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drgeekgrl

New to the area - what do I need to know?

E
16 years ago

Hello! After many years of gardening in the mid-Ohio region, my family is relocating to the northwest Ohio/lower Michigan area.

The first thing I noticed is the soil - I am used to clay, and of course, it's a lot more sandy where we are moving. I'm assuming this is going to be good in the long run - nothing worse than digging new beds in clay, but of course, I just don't know...

I am hoping to be able to transplant some of my plants up to the new house, but it would be helpful if there are things I would need to consider in this new area.

What kind of advice would you give to someone new to the area?

Thanks!

Comments (2)

• whynotmi
    16 years ago

Welcome!

Sandy soil drains faster so you may want to keep an eye on watering until you know how your yard works. Nutrients can also drain away faster so you may need to add compost to your soil.

Most of your plants should transplant well unless they were tender in central OH.

• will_2006
    16 years ago

wow, although I do not live in the United States, I am not really all that far from you and with those conditions. I have very sandy soil near lake Erie.I would upgrade the soil before anything else with compost, 3 in 1 type soil mixes, peat moss, and so on. This is so important right from the start. The soil will dry out so fast, and loss its nutriants as quickly. If you can hold off till fall to do your planting that would be the best.
    hope you enjoy your new home