Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dllfb

Blueberries - To Stay in Decorative Pot Or Planted in Garden?

dllfb
9 years ago

I was given a pot with three varieties of blueberry plants in it. It was bought like this at a local garden centre. It's quite lovely with an abundance of blueberries on it.
The tag attached states that it's "a cold resistant fruiting shrub and self polinating....great to plant in the garden but our decorative pot makes them right at home on the patio." It also states it will grow to 2.5' high and 3' wide.
I don't believe my garden would have enough sun for this plant so I was hoping I could leave it in the pot on our patio. Will this be ok with our cold snowy winters? What do you suggest that I do please? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks so much in advance!

Comment (1)

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Wow, well winter is here. Yes you can leave them in pots. But you are going to need to protect them somewhat. An unheated garage is best. Three in a pot is way too crowed. Mine in pots are in 30 gallon pots for one plant. HUGE pots!
    Sounds though like you have a smaller cultivar, as mine will grow to 6 feet high. Still three in a pot is too crowded. Protect it from freezing and thawing, this will kill it. Keep it moist, not wet, not dry. Protect from constant rain.
    If you must leave them on the patio, I would put chicken wire or hardware cloth around the pot and fill with leaves covering the plant. Do this after freezing weather to keep it frozen, to keep it from thawing in the sun.Go to the Orchard forum for advice on fruit. It is a lot more active.