Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
singingsky_z5

Grass seed now?

singingsky_z5
19 years ago

Helloooo! We downsized a garden bed just recently. Yeah, I know that's hard to believe. :) Can we scatter grass seed in the bare spot now? I've heard that you can even leave the seed overwinter and it will germinate in the spring. Is that true?

Comments (6)

• cantstopgardening
    19 years ago

I've been looking up grass seeding myself, and came up with the ideal time is before October 15th in our area. But a few sites said we could even sprinkle it over the snow, and it would come up in spring.

• singingsky_z5
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks much, cantstop! The seed has been spread. Love your name, but I'm sure ready to take a nice rest from gardening until next spring. Never had such a busy growing season before, but it was mahvelous!! The fall work is nearly done, and I hope you really enjoy the beauty of this season, too. Big smile :-)

• cantstopgardening
    19 years ago

You're welcome ;-)

• kellykn4
    19 years ago

I put grass seed down about 2 weeks ago, have kept it watered, and nothing is growing! I used perenial (spelled wrong i'm sure) seed. Any ideas???

• colleen_mi
    19 years ago

Kelly, if it has been two weeks, you should see some sprouting any day now. I've had it take as much as three weeks, maybe a little more in this cool weather. Did you cover it with straw or anything? Can you still see that the seed is plentiful? Birds and critters will eat it up.

Also, I'm mostly organic in my yard, but I've planted grass seed with and w/o starter fertilizer, and it definitely grew better with it.

The blades are so very fine when they sprout, sometimes you really have to look closely!

Good luck.

• DianeKaryl
    19 years ago

Grass seed put down at this time in northern zones will not come to anything....its too cold. Grass seed needs temperatures that will cause the seed to sprout. In zone 6....and down....grass seed is best planted before mid September to ensure something comes up.

Not to say you shouldn't put grass seed down when the temperatures drop. Grass seed will sit, awaiting the soil temperatures to warm up and cause it to sprout.

Air temperatures has nothing to do with how a seed can work....the seed is in the ground....so its the ground soil temperature that matters. Otherwise, seed could be seen to pop up when a warm spell arrives in January. Of course, this doesn't happen...the soil is too cold.

The advantage of putting seed down now is the seed will be waiting for the first sign of soil temperatures rising and will be that much more ahead of those waiting til the good weather arrives. Snow melt will aid in giving to the ground that needed moisture to help hasten the seed.