Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bgav2001

morning glories

bgav2001
18 years ago

i soaked 15 seeds for 24 hours before planting them,9 never took 5 produced nothing but leaves. the one plant produced many flowers. what did i do wrong.

Comments (6)

• casper1
    18 years ago

I don't know what you did wrong, but what I do is nick the seed on the wide side of the wedge and soak it in wateer until it swells, plant it, about1/2 in. deep and "voila" it sprouts. of course this is in the spring. Rai

• mustangsue
    18 years ago

I soaked some glory seeds in May. I got busy and forgot them for almost 2 weeks. They had 2" sprouts and all I did was pop them in the soil (inside) and planted out June 1. They will produce lots of leaves and few if any flowers if fertilized. I water them with compost tea. ( compost in a nylon stocking, kept in bucket of water. They prefer a sunny spot. Beware, they drop seeds everywhere. Seeds are easy to harvest.

• ricelakegirl
    18 years ago

I planted my morning glories in a 36" black plastic pot this year.I put it on the south side of my deck.It grew beautifully.I am still enjoying the burst of many different colors which entwined together.I soaked mine in luke warm water until they swelled and looked like they were going to sprout.I planted them in mid May in 1/2" trenches around and through the pot.I did the same with some seeds in a sunny garden on a hill and they were beautiful this year too.Don't be afraid to plant too many seeds.They love twining and climbing together.Hope this helps a bit.

• callalilykris
    18 years ago

Sometimes it depends on the brand of seeds--I've had great success with Burpee brand morning glory seeds. I tried a cheaper brand and they just didn't produce as well. Also, don't water them too much--they thrive on neglect once they get started.

• magpie33
    18 years ago

I never soak my seeds and they still grow like MAD.

I imagine the plants that re-seed themselves after bloom will get damp in the ground, but I never intentionally soak them.

• Bob_Zn5
    18 years ago

They will reseed with reckless abandon. I will be "editing" some unrecognized purple cultivar for some time. I should have been more observant & noticed the wild MG trying to strangle my new shrubs.