Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
douglasont

Squirrels will be sad!

douglasont
19 years ago

A walnut tree that straddles two lots has been given a death sentence. The decision has been made to plant the replacement on my property near the base of the old walnut. We will miss the character the tree lent to the area and the squirrels will be sad but three property owners will not miss the mess. The replacement will be planted 15' feet from one house, 25' from another and 15' from a deck. Would you plant a London Plane tree as a replacement or a maple of some sort? We all want a large tree. We are willing to invest the time training and pruning it as it grows above the houses.

Comments (13)

• casper1
    19 years ago

Why a maple?? Magnolia acuminata is a large tree and it flowers, the "tulip tree,Liriodendron tulipifera, also flowers,and there are other large trees that are not as dirty as maples and add more interest. remember this tree is going to be around a long time. Pick something different that has a lot of character. Rai

• douglasont
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Rai: you said:
    "...add more interest. remember this tree is going to be around a long time. Pick something different that has a lot of character."

This just what I am looking for. I know this will be a very long term thing and I don't want to get it wrong. I welcome interest and even would consider 'wierd' if it is suitable to be in such a location. I will check out the tulip tree...
    Thanks
    Douglasont

• Braveland4H
    19 years ago

I'd love to hear what others have to suggest, as we need a shade tree on the west side of our house.(The only spot in the whole yard that was not in shade when we bought the place!)

douglasont- I have to commend/congratulate you on the neighbor cooperation. I've been reading many threads lately about awful neighbor situations. You've got a good thing!

• paul_
    19 years ago

I'd vote for a tulip tree. : )

• blondboy47
    19 years ago

How about "Rose of Sharon"s (I think that they are Hibiscus Syriacus). They are a "bush" type plant, but can be trained as a tree.

Here in Hamilton, Rose of Sharons are the rage. They are awesome as they come in many colors and types.

What's nice about them, is that they start to flower, early summer and continue to just about frost.

They are also great here in Ontario.

Here's a website with some pictures and info.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    19 years ago

It's likely you'll have great difficuilty getting something to establish if you plant "near the base of the old walnut". The roots, decomposing leaves, & nuts contain juglone, an allelopathic compound that inhibits plants from growing, or kills them outright. The link might help you choose a tree.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: juglone resistant plants

• diggerb2
    19 years ago

shag bark hickory-- it would make the squirrels happy again.
    how about an oak-- much more interesting than a maple. a beech tree would be nice too, but you've got those shallow
    roots to deal with. Sweetgum.

I suppose you want something that doesn't leave nuts, acorns
    or shells all over the place, but a large tree as well.

Locust can be nice, but the shade isn't very dense-- it would take a grouping to cast a generous spot of shade-- other than the thorns they aren't too bad a tree.

Magnolia and tulip trees are a good idea, but Plane trees/sycamores tend to leave a lot of 'litter' in my opinion. Some of the oddball elms-- zelkova(?) siberian
    elm hake huge trees that have lovely dappled shade, but they a fast growers, seek out sewerlines and are just a bit
    'stronger' than willows.

With the emerald ash borer, ash doesn't seem like a good idea, but they are nice and turn a beautiful yellow & purple.

Japanese lilac tree-- if you can deal with the scent of the
    flowers(very musky) makes a nice shade tree but tops out at only 50 feet

although a sugar maple would be nice in the end as well.

just some ideas from ne ohio.
    diggerb

• quip
    19 years ago

Great ideas above. But if you want something different, how about a bald cypress. It is a deciduous tree with needles and interesting bark. But, like many nice trees, you have to be patient.

• mayhr
    18 years ago

does anyone know where i could find Japanese zelkova flower and seed pictures?

• Justine_London
    18 years ago

I get many complements and questions about the newest tree I have in my garden...and they will grow big....'Tricoloured beech'. They have pinkish leaves with a ruffly silver/cream edge and green. It almost looks to be in flower in the spring as the leaves emerge. The colour darkens down a bit once the leaves mature. Noticebly different as they aren't very common yet.

• Justine_London
    18 years ago

Here's a pic.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• pitimpinai
    18 years ago

I dream of native birches. When I was in Dawson City, I saw the most beautiful paper bark birch I had ever seen. I also like River Birch with its beautiful salmon barks. I planted a clump of 3 Betula nigra 'Little King'. I hope they are true to name...they are supposed to be no larger than 20'. I don't have room for a full size birch.

• Chris_MI
    18 years ago

My river birch is growing well. The pealing bark is very interesting, and it is growing faster than the other newly planted trees. Don't be put off by the name, mine is groing in all sand, with only rain water (no irrigation system).