Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
platys

Finding Heirloom Tomato Plants in the Chicago Area

platys
14 years ago

I live in Naperville, but I'm willing to travel a bit. When I'm ready to plant tomatoes in the spring (Early May), where will I be able to find Heirloom tomatoes? I know that my local Menards had a small selection, but in particular, I'm looking at:

Berkeley Tie Die

Black from Tula

Black Krim

Brandywine OTV

Paul Robeson

Bull's Heart

Zogola

Cherokee Purple

Sun Gold

Stupice

I'm putting together my plant order from Laurel's, and I'd like to get as much local as I can to avoid paying shipping.

Comments (6)

• smpetrou
    14 years ago

I live in Plainfield and I think this would be a good place for you to check out. They list what heirlooms they carry. Hope you find what you want!
    http://www.schaefergreenhouses.com/garden_product/vegetables_herb.html

Stephanie

• gonativegal
    14 years ago

Clovers is a good bet for heirloom vegetables and annuals - they're not a brick and mortar establishment. They're located around Chicagoland in portable greenhouse tents oftentimes located in and around shopping centers and closeup after Halloween. But their prices are reasonable with friendly staff and they take very good care of their stock throughout the entire season.

For free heirlooms there is also Lindalana's big plant swap in Skokie every Memorial Day weekend. Check out the winter sowing forum for more information.

Between Clovers and lindalana's that's where I got most of my heirloom vegetables this year.

• PRO
    Westeast Herb Gardens
    5 years ago

We do live in Norwood Park Chicago. We do grow our own heirlooms since couple of years. We are family owned family ran urban garden. We provide microgreens and tomatoes and few other goodies, sustainably in our community. If anyone interested buying heirloom tomatoes or tomato plants lets connect. westeastherbgardens@gmail.com

• Adam Behrens
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I live near the Roscoe Village area in downtown Chicago and have started my own shop specifically for this. Check out Windy City Tomatoes at www.windycitytomatoes.com

• PRO
    User
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hey Platys! We'll be hand-delivering vegetable plants and herbs to the Chicago Market starting in a few weeks. We don't have the products online yet, but check back around mid-April or contact our Customer Service team via chat, email or phone (607-288-2975) to have them send you an email when the tomato plants you are interested in are in-stock.

• PRO
    User
    2 years ago

We did get some of the Brandywine variety in, as well as the Orange Strawberry Oxheart! The vegetable plants are all going quick though, just like last year. Just in case these are sold out, here's all the varieties we have available: https://www.shrubbucket.com/collections/2021-victory-garden-tomatoes