Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaclynm210

Greenhouses in Southern MI

jaclynm210
10 years ago

What are some of your favorite places to buy plants in Southern Michigan?

Comments (7)

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

I grow edibles and the choices in southern MI are slim to none. I have bought a couple fruit trees from Grandpa's Nursery Online, which is in MI. The cultivars I want are not offered as much, if at all at local nurseries, and when they do they are huge trees. I want small trees I can train and shape myself. Plus the prices are way too much. So most of the fruit trees in my yard are from CA. Most of the plants edible or otherwise were purchased in different states. Part of it is me. I know we are in a trend to grow local plants, but the choices suck. And unlike what they are spewing many plants not native are adaptable to this climate. Such as tart cherry trees from Canada, mostly the Romance series. Or peach, plum trees from CA breeders. Our bees are very familiar with peach, plum, pear. apple, etc. If you choose the online route choices are unlimited. Often small, but still the variety is too large to concern myself about size. I can wait. In the last 10 years I bought two trees from local nurseries, and both have since been pulled out due to various problems. So I have zero nurseries on my list that I would consider good, and are local. The trees from CA are doing great!

I also grow brambles, tomatoes, strawberries, blueberries, various vegetables, and various flowers too. Both annual (usually from seed) and perennial. All purchased from online nurseries out of state. I like having a choice of 40 different daffodils. I just put in a variety yesterday. I have another coming. You won't find that many from anything local. One local nursery that is OK for bulbs, and seeds, but little else is Michigan Bulb. Mail order only I believe?
    Trees, and bushes they sell are small, and usualy hard to establish that small. So i only use them for flowers.

This post was edited by Drew51 on Tue, Oct 1, 13 at 9:14

• jaclynm210
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I made my first order from Mi bulb in August and got a few daffodil bulbs, they seemed to be pretty healthy and in good shape. I'll see how they turn out in the spring, through.

• jaclynm210
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I made my first order from Mi bulb in August and got a few daffodil bulbs, they seemed to be pretty healthy and in good shape. I'll see how they turn out in the spring, through.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

I ordered some daffodils from them too. I will report back also. I currently just have the common yellow ones. I also ordered a couple Irises, but they were rather small, but certainly alive. They may not flower till 2015? They sent some free bulbs too.
    I also ordered a Weeping Santa Rosa Plum tree (from Willis Orchards). It's a great tree because the fruit is good, it's weeping with white flowers, so very ornamental. It only grows to 10-15 feet. Since it weeps, no pruning is needed. Fruit comes to you!
    I will of course spray fungal, and insecticidal preventatives. Organic at first, unless they don't work, then to the big guns.
    I have another tree, a Neactaplum. Just planted this year. A non GMO cross by Floyd Zaiger of Modesto CA. It produces a more nectarine type fruit that has hints of plum. The color is beautiful and it produces lovely pink flowers in the spring.
    I used BYOC (Back yard Orchard culture) techniques. But had a problem. I cut it down to 2 feet to keep it small. Most trees respond well, but this only produced low shoots near graft. So I had to develop a new central leader. About 5 shoots came out of 2 nodes very low. I picked one, developed a new central leader, and cut the rest off. I have since pruned the new central and a nice set of scaffold branches developed. All in one season! The tree is amazing! It is 5'9". I will keep it under 8 feet tall. Here is a photo taken a few days ago. Notice the stump on the bottom left. That was the orginal central leader which was removed, and painted to protect it from UV rays. In the background are a few of my backberry vines. (I have 8 plants, all different cultivars). The leaves are purple at first, slowly changing to green as the season progresses.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

BTW, I did find one decent nursery. It has a good selection, and plants which were in decent shape. It also has some exotic plants, like citrus trees. Impressive nursery!
    TellyâÂÂs Greenhouse & Garden. Center
    3301 John R Road
    Troy, MI 48083-5656
    248-689-8735

• pattidtm
    10 years ago

The local Craigs list is where I found great raspberries and day lillies...grown in the mitten....yeah...local! The master gardeners ate a great source of info. I love to go to the huge established flea markets for all sorts of live plants and trees. Favorites...Armada Mi, Midland, and one on the west side...burley park maybe
    ..hmmmm...memory loss! Good luck!

• Plum_Blossom
    9 years ago

My past experience with Michigan Bulb was disappointing, to say the least. Plants and bulbs were tiny; many failed to last the first season. I opted to use larger internet companies. I would hope that MB has improved its products, but I won't take a chance.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths