Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lary1047

What type of trees to use????

lary1047
17 years ago

After the past few years of loosing a number of ash trees to the ash bore we are cutting the trees down. It is an area that will get afternoon sun and facing west. It was at one time very shady and now not so. It is a somewhat wet area however we dug a dry rock bed and that seems to work. So if it does get wet the wetness only stays a day or so.

Our question is, we would like to start replacing trees back into the area since there are still more ash trees still in this wooded area however who knows how long those will last in the next few years. We have been looking at the clump river birch, some type of maple. We would like some thing that might grow some what quickly to build our woods back. There are oak, hickory mixed in. Before this all happened with the bores we built large beds with hostas which are doing very well.

Can anyone give us some suggestions????? Please no willows!!!!

Thanks

De

Comments (4)

• diggerb2
    17 years ago

black locust, but watch for the thorns. more oaks & hickories. sugar maple or beech. sweet gum? another type of ash more =resistant to borers?

• grannymarsh
    17 years ago

May I suggest that you contact your County's MSU Extension for a list of possibilities?

• goodhors
    17 years ago

Is this a large area to fill with big trees? Or do you want more small, filler space trees between the Oaks and Hickory, like the little River birches?

• pondwelr
    17 years ago

What kind of woodland area is this? A treeline, or woods?
    I guess you have some moisture/standing water areas.
    I have a half acre lot next to a pond. Water table is high. I put swamp white oak, various birches, elder, virburnum, and pines and maples. All on a city lot, between me and my neighbors. We all love the privacy my yard provides. My one ash, (purple) is doing well, and so far, disease free. Without knowing the growing conditions, and the space constraints, it is hard to advise anyone else. I can only say what worked for me.
    Pondy

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES