Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nature_nut

Betty Magnolia Info.

nature_nut
17 years ago

I am looking for any information on Betty Magnolia. I have read abit about it and it sounds good but I wonder if anyone here has got one and how it is performing for them. How big is it?? Is it hardy? How messy does it get? Are there any special problems I should be aware of? Is it a good bloomer? Anything you can tell me would be great. Thanks.

Comments (2)

• wildcitywoman
    17 years ago

I'd like to have a small magnolia - don't know how it would fit in on our lot (an apartment building with a very big lot - pines and maples, so it's acidic soil).

I'm wondering if you could get one going by just taking a cutting.

Maybe that's the way you could get it - have a go at it and if it doesn't work well, take it out.

• diggerb2
    17 years ago

I have a jane magnolia. i think it is one of the little sister mags that were bred together (jane, ann, betty & ???
    were the first 4, but i think there are another 3 of them all together)

any hoot, i'm happy with my jane-- it took me 2 years to find one (its 4 years old now) but i see a lot of them in the market in the last 2 years. Mine is about 8 foot tall and about 6 foot wide, supposed to get to 15 feet and about 10 feet. I think that betty is supposed to be in the same size range.

This past spring was the first year that i had a good flower display-- I bought a 'charlie brown' tree at the end of the summer at 70% off original price.(it was a 3 stemmer, about 5'x3', with a broken root ball that cost me
    $69.00 + $35 to deliver and plant it-- no guarantee) It took a lot of care the first to years and then has shaped up nicely.
    they are supposed to be small forms and hardy-- as well as late bloomers.

diggerb