Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pattio2_gw

Prune back and move???

pattio2
9 years ago

Within the next month we will be tearing out our old deck and replacing it. I have several mature plants and shrubs that I have to prune back and move. I will list them. Please can someone advise if it is too early to prune them and if I can move them this fall or should I wait till spring.
#1 Goldflame Spirea to prune and move
#2 Annabelle Hydrangea to prune and move
#3 Several mini roses to prune and move
#4 Stonecrop Autumn Fire to prune and move
#5 Lavender to move
#6 several everblooming lilies to move
#7 Jackmani and Reflections Clematis to prune only not moving.

Comments (3)

• pitimpinai
    9 years ago

# 1. Spirea ....I killed mine after pruning, so I can't advise you on this one.
    # 2. Annabelle Hydrangea can be pruned anytime.
    # 3. Mini roses can be pruned anytime and moved. I had more success moving them in spring.
    # 4. Stome crop - move anytime.
    # 5. Lavender. I killed mine, so I am not in any position to advise you on this plant.
    # 6. Lilies can be moved now. Are they lilium or hemerocallis? Anyway, either one can be moved now.
    # 7. Jackmanii can be pruned now or early spring, depending on your preference or time. I prune my Clematis when the time allows, usually in the fall when I clean up the garden.

• D.KOPE60
    8 years ago

One thing I do know about the lavender; if you can wait until spring and see how far the new buds come out - you must be sure not to prune so low that you have no new growth or you will lose the plant. If you wait long enough until you see a mound of (basal) green growth at the bottom center; then if you wish you can remove all the excess stems and start with a new, smaller plant.

• D.KOPE60
    8 years ago

It is my experience that Annabelles can be trimmed all the way down and they will start over.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner