Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gmom2_6boys

What kind of flower?

gmom2-6boys
15 years ago

I hope I'm at the right forum. What kind of flower seed should I plant now to have flowers for next year. I live in northern Mich. on Lake Huron, zone 4-5.

Thanks

Gmom

Comments (3)

• marbree
    15 years ago

Right now, as far as I my knowledge and talent goes, I would suggest spring blooming bulbs - tulips, daffodils, crocuses, etc.

I would also try the Seed Exchange Forum (they post seed related questions, too) or the Winter Sowing Forum.

Also, the seed exchange forum sometimes has SASBE (Self Addressed Stamped Bubble Envelope) in which they want to people to enclose an address label and an amount in stamps in a bubble envelope in order for them to send out seeds. (80 or 1.30 depending on what their post office charges for bubble envelopes). But they will need you to have an e-mail contact here.

You might also want to ask how to add your state and zone to your page, because that is vital to knowing how to answer your question on many of the other forums. It's different answer if you are in a zone 3 or a zone 9, and there they won't be able to tell.

Here is my attempt at describing how to add your state, zone and e-mail availability to you:

Go to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum (or the main page of any individual forum)

At the very, very bottom you will see a link called "member services page". Click on it.

You want to click on "Edit Your Personal Information, Page, and Preferences"
    (I had to log in again, but I don't think the link comes up if you don't log in the first time)

Your e-mail should already be listed in the first section from when you first registered.

Fill in the "State" area on the second section
    Fill in the "zone" area on the third section

At the bottom, click on the "Allow other users to send you email via forms at our site."
    So that people can e-mail you.
    Keep the "Show my email address to:" set at "none"
    This will allow you to receive e-mails, but not give anyone your e-mail until you reply.

Click on "save your member profile"

Also you may consider editing your exchange list, even it's just to list something you would like to have.

Here is a link that might be useful: GardenWeb Garden Forums List

• marbree
    15 years ago

Here is a link to find out what zone you are in. You just put your zip code in the box and click "go".

Here is a link that might be useful: National Gardening Association - USDA hardiness zone finder

• minnesuing
    15 years ago

Welcome gmom2-6boys! I would also suggest trying the wintersowing forum. Wintersowing is basically just filling containers like milk jugs with dirt and sowing seeds in them to create mini-greenhouses that will sprout in spring when the weather warms up. This method is a great way to start seeds inexpensively and easily because there is no indoor grow lights required and since they are outside all winter they require no hardening-off in spring. Check out the FAQs at the top of that forum for a more complete explanation. I like wintersowing because it is a way to garden all winter long...which is nice when January hits here in MI and summer is still months away. Have fun gardening!

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm