Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chrismich250

34 degrees yesterday -fall chores

chrismich250
17 years ago

Well, in Ann Arbor it was 34 degrees last night, I was lucky that none of my houseplants suffered outside. So I am packing up those 7 pots into the wheelbarrow along with several more zonal geraniums to overwinter inside. I'll rush them inside the garage if frost threatens, until we have our Indian summer. I need one more load of free horse manure to stock pile for spring along with 1 load of wood chips--but where to put them??. I need to do that in the next 2 weeks before surgery---that's me, always have a list of chores I want to get done NOW. I guess the only other important thing is to cut down & throw away the peony leaves-everything else can wait until spring.

Comments (2)

• wildcitywoman
    17 years ago

Are you all that concerned about 34 degrees? We were 7 celsius here in Toronto this morning . . . that's about 44 fahrenheit.

Hmmm . . . yeah, I guess you're right - that's colder than us.

I've done some of my pelargoniums/geraniums . . . in fact, I've got one with white flowers! Cool, eh? So I did that one immediately - don't want to be losing that.

Here's a direct link to a photo . . .

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/1389/whitegeranium0912fe1.jpg

I'll try to get better pics of the white one on the weekend.

We're up and down here - today we had a high of 16 celsius, tomorrow we'll have 18 - the weekend is low twenties but with rain.

What I'm trying to do is pack up for the indoors a couple of pots at a time - fortunately I chose to plant perennials wherever possible this summer. Still, there's a lot needs to come in - we have a lot of kalanchoe and that definitely has to be in for the winter.

(I am, btw, experimenting with 3 of them - going to see if I can over-winter them . . . I sunk them into the ground in their pots and am putting plastic pop bottles on top as it gets colder)

I'm giving about 90% of them away - I have two different kinds. If anybody here in the west end of Toronto wants some kalanchoe, lemme' know (writer56@canoemail.com).

I've got some wandering jew - some? Ha! That's an understatement - I bought 4 small plants and it just boomed. That's got to come in (I'm sure of that now).

And I did realize in time that mexican heather won't overwinter outside in our climate, so that's gotta' come in.

Geesh! Why do we slave?

Because we love it!

Check out my garden forum journal at Wild City Writers' Workshop, if you'd like to see all my pics:

http://wildcity.proboards14.com/index.cgi?board=gardening

Feel free to participate there if you like - you don't have to be a writer.

Carly :-0

• peter4
    17 years ago

You must have some kind of thermometer!!! I'm in the Thumb and it didn't get anywhere near that low. Have Friends in Boyne City and they didn't either.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting