Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowerbrackob

Why the Blazes Not?

flowerbrackob
12 years ago

I've been "by hand" with a butcher knife mind you...... edging/cutting/slicing, grass/sod away from

my flower beds so the tiller will fit for one thing, keeping the earth looking fresh & neat.

Plus I Don't Have To continue using the "by hand method".

It trully is starting to harm my wrist.

This yr. I have delicately-shallow-rooted mums planted.

I don't see why I can't use the sod pieces as mulch around the base of plants...... do any of you?

I've knocked off all the dirt & now have clumps of grass.

I thought I could dry it out and place it up and around almost any plant I have.

However.........Perhaps even the pieces will "re-root" themselves & I will then now have fresh grass in the beds this spring??????

Presently evr'y time I do this diggin' (& it's Most Often to make it look nice)

I bag it and pay a guy to haul it away for me. I'd save $300.00 per year if I could use those hunks!

Any comments about this possible idea are More Than Welcome & Appreciated. Anyone???????????????? Jaemy

Comments (3)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

You should absolutely use those! But I would make sure they are truly dead first or yes, they will start growing again. You can put them in a pile or a bag until you are sure they can't start growing again. A wonderful way to add organic matter to improve your soil.

• flowerbrackob
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well..............Amen! If I keep them in a bag will they not get moldy being moist?................Guessin' I could put them out into the sun on a tarp and let the sun roast them tho..........little work re-bagging ea. day; but worth it. I've already started with the grass clippings and leaves. I'm so glad I'm not considered Totally Out of My Mind. Great news; I'll keep diggin' and dryin'. Thank You Ever So, Jaemy

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

Yes, it will get very smelly in a bag, and be a unpleasantly odorous for a day or two after you open the bag back up and spread it around. Baking on a tarp is a better idea in regard to being odor-free, but I wasn't sure if you had the space to do that. I've got some of that going on in my yard right now. I'm using some sheet metal to smother some grass to make one of my flower beds bigger. The shape of it wasn't exactly the same shape as the grass area I wanted smothered, so I dug up the uncovered grass at the edges and put the chunks on top of the metal to bake. Otherwise, I would have just thrown the chunks in my compost pile. It's ugly for the next couple weeks but it will look great when it's finally finished. Maybe someday the yard crashers will visit and finish all of my projects in a single weekend. Fantasy!!