Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lesley4936

Flowering crab replacement

lesley4936
17 years ago

My 25-year old flowering crab has some kind of black-spot-like fungus that gets worse each year. If I have it removed, what kind of tree can I put there? I'm primarily looking for something that will shade my hostas (the fungus/disease makes the leaves all fall off my crab apple, thus no shade). I want to make sure whatever I plant won't get this disease. Suggestions would be most appreciated.

Comments (2)

• treemedic
    17 years ago

If you like the crabapple you can replace it with an Apple Scab resistant variety (this is the disease yours has). One of my favorites is White Angel Crabapple. It's scab resistant, gets unbelievably loaded with white flowers which are followed by thousands of tiny red apples that hang on the tree all winter for the birds to pick away at.

Here is a link that might be useful: White Angel

• Judy_B_ON
    17 years ago

Serviceberry tree (not shrub) is about the same size as a crab, white flowers in late April, tasty fruit in June, yellow leaves in the fall, gray bark in winter, few diseases.

I'd recommend A. laevis, but many nice hybrid tree forms are available from nurseries.

Here is a link that might be useful: Serviceberry

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH